Expedia, Aer Lingus and no refund.

Options
Hi, I'd like some advice please regarding a refund I have been chasing for a while now.

I went to NY with Expedia in December 2010. Unfortunately the adverse weather at that time of the year caused some disruption to my return flights. Although the flight from New York took off on time, the landing in Dublin was delayed, as the runway had not been cleared of snow. The knock on effect of this is that I missed my connecting flight to Manchester.

As a result I was put onto a later flight that was scheduled to take off at 9.00am. The bad weather stubbornly persisted and the flight time kept being pushed back until approximately 11:00am at which point it was cancelled. I was returned to the Aer Lingus customer services desk in Dublin airport where I was informed that they would try and get me onto the next available flight, which at best would be later that evening, assuming the snow stopped - which didn’t look too likely. Considering there was a ferry leaving from Dun Laoghaire very shortly (and I wanted to get home sometime before Christmas) I asked the man behind the desk if I could not rebook onto the next flight and get a refund instead. He said I could, so I did.

In February I wrote to Aer Lingus asking for a refund for the flight that was cancelled. They told me I had to contact Expedia as I used them as a booking agent. I phoned Expedia and they said they would process my refund. That was back in March.

I phoned today as I hadn't heard anything. I was informed that I wasn't going to get a refund (this decision had been made on the 18th May, but they didn't think to tell me). They said that Aer Lingus would only refund the taxes of £10.40, but Expedia charge and administration fee of £13.50 so there was nothing left. They also pointed out that my flight wasn't cancelled, just delayed by 34 minutes.

As far as I can see, it may not have been cancelled, but I couldn't catch it as I was stuck on another plane of the same airline circling over Ireland. The flight that they put me onto later was cancelled, and a member of Aer Lingus staff told me that I didn't have to wait for the next flight (that would only go if it stopped snowing) and I could have a refund. I would not necessarily have chosen to pay for alternative means to get back if I didn't think I would get some money back for the flight.

Am I in the right here? The taxi and ferry to get home weren't cheap, and I could really do with getting the money back for this flight that I couldn't take.

Comments

• avinabacca
    avinabacca Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck - leaves a nasty taste in the mouth, this.

I have always found Aer Lingus cunning, I hope you really give them a good licking - they want to go down.
    Oh come on, don't be silly.

It's the internet
    - it's not real!

• jkkne
    jkkne Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I asked the man behind the desk if I could not rebook onto the next flight and get a refund instead. He said I could, so I did.

I imagine if you chose to take a refund and not re-route or reschedule with Aer Lingus then your normal fare rules will apply.

So depending on the fare (and Expedia normally sell the restricted lowest of the low, even in business and first) you could only be due the taxes and any admin fee due back to yourself, which sounds like has occured in this instance
  • NoSatisfaction
    Options
    They did not undertake their part of the contract by delivering you to any of your destinations on time.

Claim back off your credit card?
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Travel insurance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts