Is this hard drive suitable and reliable?

Options
After my disastrous experience with the Seagate hard drive I looked for a Samsung Spinpoint as recommended in my previous thread.

This looks a good deal, has good reviews too, so will it be suitable for my computer?

I have a Dell Inspiron 530 in original setup apart from adding 2gb extra RAM taking it to 3gb.

Thanks,

Ruth

Comments

• Toxteth_OGrady
    Toxteth_OGrady Posts: 3,958 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have 6 of those. Great drives.
    604!
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Options
    Most modern hard drives are reliable these days, but only as reliable as your backup regime...
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,810 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I have 4 of them. They are quiet and cool running compared to the WD 500GB drives that I had previously (one of which failed without warning).

I won't say anything about reliability, as none are more than a year old, and I don't want to tempt fate...
  • madmum33
    madmum33 Posts: 635 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks guys, I forgot to mention I'm still running XP, are there any issues I might come across that might prevent the drive working properly? Will I need special drivers, and should I partition the drive into smaller sections?
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Options
    No need to partition and the OS should see the drive fine although to avoid HDD controller hell during install you want to set the SATA mode to "Compatible" or "IDE".
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you using this as a second storage drive in addition to your existing operating system drive?
    604!
  • madmum33
    Options
    Are you using this as a second storage drive in addition to your existing operating system drive?

Yes, my original drive will still have the OS.
  • Toxteth_OGrady
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In which case as Hammy already said - no need to partition it and your existing SATA controller will already have the drivers installed for your OS drive (assuming your existing drive is SATA, which from your spec I believe it is and your motherboard only has one SATA controller with multiple ports).
    604!
  • madmum33
    Options
    Thank you! I was nervous after the Seagate disaster, now I will go ahead with the upgrade!
  • andy2004
    andy2004 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2011 at 12:25PM
    Options
    for an extra £10 you can get a 2tb hard drive from novatech.
    http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/harddrives-internal/sataover1tb/samsung/hd204ui.html
    i've got one of them, small note they need a firmware patch if used as a boot drive something about data lose, you can get the update firmware from samsungs website.
    i've got mine external as such didnt need to patch it, but i did patch it incase i wanted it internally. no problems with it yet (touch wood). as its external i dont hear a pip out of it when its turned on.

more here about the fireware update and why http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/SamsungF4EGBadBlocks
    and here http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/faqView.do?b2b_bbs_msg_id=386 for the actual update.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure