Fake Tan on Beige Carpet, Please Help!!

Options
Hi there,
Really hope someone can help to save me £50 on getting the carpets professionally cleaned or worse still, losing my £500 tenancy bond.

My (ahem...) 'little bundle of joy' (!) managed to help himself to mummy Garnier gradual tanning lotion and squirted it all over my bedroom carpet. It had got into the carpet before I realised what he was doing. Locks are now on all cabinets and drawers, but I'm left with an attractive orange stain.

Has this happenned to anyone else, or does anyone have any tip on what might get the stain out, or has the carpet effectively been 'dyed' by the oxidisation of the fake tan??

Many, many thanks,
Caroline x
Sept GC £42.22/£60

Comments

• Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
  • mrs_marty
    mrs_marty Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Have you tried lemon juice, then wiping it with baby wipes
  • finallyfree_2
    Options
    Hiya,

I use a fab carpet cleaner by OzKleen,called Carpet Power, its about £4 and I get it from Wilkos.

It has managed to remove sick, baby poo and lots of 'accidents' from having 2 little angels... I have not had fake tan spilit so I cannot definatley say it will remove it, but it is worth a go.

My cream carpets do take a battering but this is the best stuff I have found - hope this helps !

Good Luck xx
  • Darlyd
    Darlyd Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    YES ! But was my foundation I damped it with a wet cloth, then I sprinkled over washing powder and vanish, rubbed it in, Then used a clean cloth and patted it with more water... It took it all off, and left a clean patch... We are going to hire a carpet cleaner soon for the rest of the carpet...

Good luck OP
  • KittyPryde
    KittyPryde Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Options
    I would try lemon juice or white vinegar or try mixing those with washing powder etc.
  • minicazzybee
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    I'll begin with the au naturale solutions and if no results will try the wilko's stuff. Will let you know how I get on xxx
    Sept GC £42.22/£60
  • lexuslass
    lexuslass Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever I get hair dye on my carpet, I always plaster it in shampoo...leave it a while and rub it gently with a green scourer and loads and loads of water and it does always do the job!!

takes a while and a lot of patience!! but as it is fake tan, keep giving it a gentle rub with a bar of soap and do the same!

Shampoo always fades hair dye and likewise with soap and fake tan!

As I said, it takes patience and you will need a big sponge to keep mopping up the water!

There's also a really old fashioned cleaning product called 'Borax' which I think is a natural product and strips things out without damage - so it isn't going to bleach your carpet or anything (have used it myself on my hair years ago when I had it turn green! :eek:).. it is a fabulous product .. I got it from the household section in boots.. but I am talking 15 years or so ago so haven't a clue if they still sell it or where else you would get it from!

Good Luck!! x
  • Stephb1986_2
    Stephb1986_2 Posts: 6,279 Forumite
    Options
    I've split hair dye on the fireplace and had permanant marker on the leather sofa I used everything I could think of, but what did work was hair spray. Maybe try that? Good luck

Steph xx
  • Frittered_Away
    Options
    I take no responsibility for the following tip not working etc :D - but I would've thought make up wipes would be best?
  • KittyPryde
    KittyPryde Posts: 2,623 Forumite
    Options
    Just remembered you can actually buy fake tan remover wipes (for times when u mess it up) and a bottle of fake tan remover like this from boots. it's for hands though so be carfeul on a carpet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure