S.P. Standard or EDF fixed 2014, cheapest??

Options
davemorton
davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
edited 30 June 2011 at 11:08AM in Energy
Which has the cheapest price per unit, Scottish Power Online Standard (No Standing Charge) or EDF Fixed 2014. I think I have worked it out that EDF units are the cheapest, but would like some confirmation as am not to sure about my working outs. I would 'hate' to get my final meter readings wrong and be overcharged.

Prices as I see them......
S.P. Gas
8.08 per kWh then 3.704 per kWh above 2680 kWh per anum

EDF Gas
3.556 per kWh

So the gas definitely looks cheaper at EDF

SP Electric
21.1 per kWh then 10.946 per kWh above 900 kWh

EDF Electric
12.19 per kWh

It is the electric that has me confused. I have only just went onto the Scottish Power Online Standard (No Standing Charge) so don't know if I will reach the cheaper unit prices as I am a moderately low user.
Cheers for taking the time to even read this.
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires

Comments

• TIMMY85
    TIMMY85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    You are not including the EDF standing charges! The unit rates are not comparable due to the different pricing structures!
    The SP standard will probably be a bit cheaper at the moment but is subject to change.
    In my opinion the standard rate is a lazy option and you should either fix or go to a discounted online deal!
  • davemorton
    Options
    Perhaps I should have been a little clearer. I have been moved onto the standard rate as I am about to leave S.P. and this meant I did not have to pay a leaving fee. I realise there is a standing charge, but was wondering if I should inform them if my final meter readings were over-estimated, or under-estimated as surly one of the ways would be of benefit to myself (i.e. cheaper) and the other way would benefit one of the 2 companys {if that makes sense?}
  • TIMMY85
    TIMMY85 Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    If estimates are used and they are over estimated this would be in your favour as the SP standard rate is lower than EDF fix BUT I always think that it's best to give actual reads to avoid any issues with replacement final bills vein issued once EDF get an actual read (if the reads are way out)
    Always safest to give the new supplier readings for the SSD and keep a record of them
  • davemorton
    Options
    TIMMY85 wrote: »
    If estimates are used and they are over estimated this would be in your favour as the SP standard rate is lower than EDF fix
    Now this is why I asked, as to me, EDF seem cheaper, well it certainly does for the gas, not sure about the electric so I thought an underestimate would have been better for my move to EDF, Aaarrgggggg, too complicated!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family