Can I claim for returned transaction fees?

Hi,

I was wondering can I claim money back (hardship route) for returned transaction fees and guaranteed transaction fees of £8 each. I know they are not as extortionate as many other charges and they have only come to a total of £192 since 2010.
Is this reasonable then? Or can I claim?
Thanks very much

Comments

• flimsier
    flimsier Posts: 799 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't understand what you are asking.
    Can we just take it as read I didn't mean to offend you?
  • Sorry. I was wondering if I am eligible to re claim charges made on my account from the bank. The charges were for 'Guaranteed Transaction Fees' and 'Returned Transaction Fees'; both of which are charged at £8 a time.
    The total of bank charges I have paid in the last 18months comes to £192.
    I have been in increasing financial hardship since the birth of daughter in 2009- the bank charges haven't exactly helped but arethey enough to ask for a refund? Hope that makes a bit more sense. :/
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you read the MSE guide to reclaiming bank charges?

Presumably you have as you think you can claim under financial hardship.

If so, it begs the question what has reasonableness of fee got to do with anything??? :huh:
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    the answer is no
  • anaysmith
    anaysmith Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi,
    Yes I had read it and tried sending a letter to the bank and they replied saying that the charges we're reasonable, and in line with regulations etc.
    So then I thought maybe these particular charges were reasonable and I couldn't reclaim them.
    Sorry, but is that a no I can't claim, or no they are not reasonable?

Thank you
  • lj237
    lj237 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have read MSE reclaiming bank charges info. I am giving a shot, there is follow on information if your bank says no. I think you should try all avenues. My Bank charges are unreal and causing me many sleepless nights.

Good luck!
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you are claiming under financial hardship (which is basically the only grounds you can claim on at the moment) then it doesn't matter whether the fees are classed as 'reasonable' or not because you are not asking for them back on the grounds that they are unreasonable - you are asking the banks to make a goodwill gesture to refund them as you are struggling. Did you clearly state you were in financial hardship in your letter? I doubt you will get 18 months worth back though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure