We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

where could i find local gardeners willing to sell tomatoes

Options
oddies
oddies Posts: 10,013 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
i cannot grow tomatoes/ other veg due to lack of room and not very greenfingered so where could i find local gardeners willing to sell excess produce. looked in local papers but found nothing there. many thanks in advance ( not put my area up until i hear back from you all with advise ) p.s hate supermarket tomatoes
2016 Jan Wins: 9ct white Gold Diamond Necklace £530.00, Doro Easy phone. April: Hotel Chocolat Easter Egg. May: £1,000 spend @ laredoute. June: Alton towers family Ticket & In the Night Garden Toy.

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Local gardening society, local allotments? Google "garden club" / "garden society" / allotments... and add your town/area, and see what comes up. I'll be sticking a large box outside in the next week - planted more than I could possibly manage, and they'll find a home elsewhere.
  • oddies
    Options
    many thanks Daftyduck, :T:T:T will go off and do this now. been wondering about this for months but just dare not post it up incase people thought i was insane but i thought what the hell saves surplus for growers like yourself and good for me plus no doubt cheaper in the long run
    2016 Jan Wins: 9ct white Gold Diamond Necklace £530.00, Doro Easy phone. April: Hotel Chocolat Easter Egg. May: £1,000 spend @ laredoute. June: Alton towers family Ticket & In the Night Garden Toy.
  • oddies
    Options
    hi Daftyduck tried all that and got nowhere, just cannot find anything. :wall:
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    2 years ago i couldnt give the tomatoes away fast enough never mind sell them. Since then they have not done so well
    though.

Barely enough to make it to the kitchen, mmm that looks nice..little taste mmmmm yummy. oops ive eaten all the ripe ones.

Better luck tomorrow.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Vamps
    Vamps Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    You may struggle, I have an allotment and in our group we are not allowed to sell our produce, something in the terms if the allotment group lease or something, plus there are so many things you can make out of tomato, I doubt many people would have lots of surplice to give away. But good luck in your quest.
  • 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    oddies wrote: »
    i cannot grow tomatoes/ other veg due to lack of room and not very greenfingered so where could i find local gardeners willing to sell excess produce. looked in local papers but found nothing there. many thanks in advance ( not put my area up until i hear back from you all with advise ) p.s hate supermarket tomatoes
    When you say lack of room, do you mean you only have a small garden? Or, maybe no garden?

Tomatoes can be grown on a bright windowsil. Many supermarkets sell tomato starter kits which are the size of a large yogurt pot, with soil and seeds, then a clear lid. So the plants are started on the windowsil in this, then you just transplant the strongest grower/s to a larger pot. Very easy and not even a tinge of greenfingers required :)

Actually, those kits are all greatly reduced in price in some places; might be worth buying now, storing and starting your own home grown tomatoes next Spring? That way, if they are not successful, you haven't invested too much, but, if successful ... yummy fresh tomatoes with real tomato *flavour* (I find supermarket tomatoes lack flavour).
  • 3v3
    3v3 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    Options
    Vamps wrote: »
    You may struggle, I have an allotment and in our group we are not allowed to sell our produce, something in the terms if the allotment group lease or something, plus there are so many things you can make out of tomato, I doubt many people would have lots of surplice to give away. But good luck in your quest.
    That's a great shame; but it doesn't apply to all allotments. The allotments near to me have a shop they sell their produce from, plus a few gardening items.
  • gillian62
    gillian62 Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably a little early to find people selling tomatoes, as they are only starting to fruit in most of the country and people probably won't have a glut of them available for sale yet.

I know someone locally here who puts up a sign outside their house when they have tomatoes etc for sale. So you could look around for that in about a month or so. Otherwise you can often get locals selling produce at summer fayres and carboot sales, or village fetes too.
  • soul619
    soul619 Posts: 562 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2011 at 5:17PM
    Options
    how far from derby are you? if i have a glut and i think i will i would be more than happy to give you a dozen if you were in the derby area?

i dont know why (maybe there is and i just havnt seen it) people dont have little meet ups and swop excess home grown produce and bread, cakes, jams ect... rather than them going to waste
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure