Can you still claim back charges?

Options
Basically the long and short of it - I'm with santander I've never been able to do internet banking because they send me out details and when i use them they come up 'invalid' and i ask them about it and they say they they will send more out and the same happens. I can't do phone banking because when i ask them to send me details they stand at their counter at the bank going 'ohh it wont let me click it, sorry.'

so basically if i'm at home and want to buy anything online etc i need to go out to the nearest cashpoint to check my balance before i can come home and buy it!

so on small value items i usually just go ahead and do it.

Anyway I've been charged £25 6 times last week (£150) and they say there's over £200 more to come out when i next get any money! :( some of these charges are for items that are a couple of pound.

I know it's my fault I should go and check my account first but sometimes it is not physically possible and I never imagined such large charges for such small amounts. Is there ANY chance of claiming ANY of them back? we struggle every month already and now I went out to buy nappies and food and it's all been taken out of my account and I just feel hopeless.
Misc debts - £5,000 | Student loan - £9,000 | Mortgage - £180,000
Goals for 2015: Sell house & downsize + Increase income + Get debt Free :shocked: {Diary}
<3DS born 05/05/2009 & DS2 born 12/02/2011 <3
Smoke free since 01/01/2010
Paid off credit card 04/04/2011

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    so basically if i'm at home and want to buy anything online etc i need to go out to the nearest cashpoint to check my balance before i can come home and buy it!

That is a very unreliable way of doing it and there is no reason to do it that way.

Why dont you do what most do and that is reconcile your account from the statement and then have a running balance based on your transactions?
    I know it's my fault I should go and check my account first but sometimes it is not physically possible and I never imagined such large charges for such small amounts. Is there ANY chance of claiming ANY of them back? we struggle every month already and now I went out to buy nappies and food and it's all been taken out of my account and I just feel hopeless.

If it is your first error, then the banks will usually refund if you ask nicely. If its a frequent error then they will not normally do so.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure