PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is there a way of repairing a cigarette burn hole?

Options
Hi all, I have received a dress with a smallish cigarette burn in it (though big enough to be noticable unfortunately)! It's looking unlikely that I will be able to return it so I figured I'd try asking the wise OSs for help :)

The dress is cream with a print on it, and the hole is smack bang on the front of it with an ash stained ring about it. Is there any way I can go about fixing it if needed?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When you say smack bang in the front - where abouts? Sounds like all you could do is cover it with something but that depends where the hole is!

there was a recent thread on cig burns in cars but that won't help!!!

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Depending on how big the hole is,could you take a piece of fabric from a turned up hem or pocket?I have repaired small holes before,trim off the burnt bit then take a small piece of fabric a little bigger than the hole.I use wonder web that you iron on.Turn the dress inside out and place the wonder web carefully on the dress going around the hole then place fabric piece on top.Then iron.Hope I have explained it ok.
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Fuzzy_Duck Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    When you say smack bang in the front - where abouts? Sounds like all you could do is cover it with something but that depends where the hole is!

there was a recent thread on cig burns in cars but that won't help!!!

Zip :)

Thanks for the quick response both! It's pretty much right in the middle- underneath the bust of the dress, halfway between there and halfway between the hem if you know what I mean?

That sounds like a great idea frosty (it's good to know it can be done!) I'll take a look at the dress tonight and see if there's any spare fabric I can use :)

Thanks again!
  • zippychick
    Options
    Frostys idea is fab! i was asking because depending on location you have different options.

Let us know if it works :) x

• Ida_Notion
    Ida_Notion Posts: 314 Forumite
    Options
    It's difficult to know what to suggest without seeing the design of the dress, but since the burn is in the centre then if Plan A turns out to be unfeasible perhaps you could take a strip of plain fabric an inch or two wide in the same shade of cream as the background fabric, and then stitch it down from the neckline, down over the burn and beyond, creating the illusion of a button placket to which you then sew matching or contrasting buttons.
    Freddie Starr Ate My Signature
  • PudseyDB
    PudseyDB Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    I've usually found "hidden" repairs - no matter how good - still indicate that something is wrong.

What I've done in the past is made a feature of it........one skirt (many years ago now mind you) ended up with a couple of spiders embroidered on!! If its below the bust, would a bow work? or maybe sew a long piece of ribbon just under the bust and tie it at the back? without seeing a picture its hard to suggest what might work best.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    :wave:
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  • Fuzzy_Duck
    Options
    Ida Notion and PudseyDB, I love the idea of using buttons or a bow! It's not quite along the middle of the dress horizontally but rather than an all round bow I could perhaps tack on a little bow detail. It is however pretty much down the middle vertically so the strip of fabric with buttons on would probably work!

Thanks all. I'm going to try frosty's idea first and if that doesn't look quite right I'll add on some detail to hide it.

Thanks again all, I really couldn't be bothered to wait ages to get a refund on a dress I otherwise love- so it's great to hear some creative ideas on how to make the most of the damage.
  • zippychick
    Options
    I need pics of the spiders! Sounds awesome!!!!

I would love to be able to embroider

• Fuzzy_Duck
    Options
    zippychick wrote: »
    I need pics of the spiders! Sounds awesome!!!!

I would love to be able to embroider

Seconded! I'm no where need that good at sewing so I might take the lazy way out and pin a brooch over the hole after I've sewed it up :rotfl:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) Lots of great ideas here already and I'm definately in agreement with the poster who says make a feature of it, it really works.

One option that exists with a patterned fabric, assuming you can find a spare bit of it on a pocket lining/ hem/ back of the neck bit (the proper name escapes me, that semi-circular bit of facing on the inside of the garment up to the neckine).

You could cut out one of the repeats of the pattern and fit it over the hole, assuming things match, and surface stitch it down and called it applique.:rotfl:

;) Back in the day when I was a costume designer, if there was a difference between the sketch and the finished costume, we'd blithely tell whomever noticed that it was a "design feature".
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills