Ideal world

Options
I purchased a halogen oven with accessories from Ideal World in Dec 09 with a 2 year warranty. It broke last month and they arranged to collect it, which they did and I asked for a replacement. I was surprised on Monday when I noticed a refund of just over £53 go into my bank. I emailed, but have received no response so I phoned today.

I was informed that the orginal item I purchased was not in stock and that was why I received the refund. If you go onto there website there is plenty as it is todays 'star of the show', but it is £69.99 plus p&p. I told them this and they said if I wanted the item I would have to pay the new price. Again I queried the stocks and was then informed that the item I purchased was different, as I didn't have the accessories and had a different order number. The order number bit may be true but the item with the accessories is identical and what I had been using at home until it recently broke. I asked to speak to a supervisor who gave me the same spiel. I think the whole thing is a big con, and told them so and a way to make more money. I asked to speak to someone in the UK who may be able to assist and was told that they could not transfer me or give me a UK number!

Comments

• somethingcorporate
    Options
    How much did you pay for it in the first place?

Under SOGA they can give a proportionate refund for the amount of time you have used it. If they are £70 new (and you paid this price) and you got £53 quid back that seems like a pretty good deal to me since you have had 18 months use out of it.
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • NeilF3485
    NeilF3485 Posts: 600 Forumite
    Options
    SOGA shouldn't even be needed in this case - OP had a 2 year warranty which the item is still within. So surely they should replace or refund. If you only paid £53 then of course they have kept their side of the deal. To argue SOGA then surely OP would have to pay for independent assessment of product to demonstrate an inherent manufacturing defect?

Have you checked the warranty information to see what this says about repair/replace and whether the amount refunded is reduced in line with time since purchase?

In an ideal world they would just replace it and be done with it. Surprised they are bothering to argue over what is effectively just £16
    "We can all fly as high as the dreams we dare to live...........unless we are a chicken" ~ Anon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure