Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simple question no doubt answered in the above umpteen pages , sorry for no wading through them.
    Does my FIT registered company have to be my energy provider. Ie British gas for both?
    Simple questions deserve simple answers .....

... No ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Simple question no doubt answered in the above umpteen pages , sorry for no wading through them.
    Does my FIT registered company have to be my energy provider. Ie British gas for both?

some info on the FAQ thread, post#37 section 9 (kindly provided by Sly Dog Jonah):

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=57831489#post57831489

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • SkipandLucy
    Options
    Thank you, much appreciated !
    I couldn't bear to go through that registration process again!
  • John_Pierpoint
    Options
    I am with British Gas, though they are not my energy provider.
    This time last year I was congratulating myself with registering with a half efficient organisation, at least I could do the job by email and not risk missing the deadline.

What went wrong for you ?
  • pwllbwdr
    pwllbwdr Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'm also with BG for the FITs, supply now moved elsewhere but when I registered I was with them for power too.

The whole process with them of registering was rapid and uncomplicated, and every time I've sent off a meter reading I've had the payment in a matter of days.
  • SkipandLucy
    Options
    I am with British Gas, though they are not my energy provider.
    This time last year I was congratulating myself with registering with a half efficient organisation, at least I could do the job by email and not risk missing the deadline.

What went wrong for you ?

the whole process was a nightmare!! the installers gave me a load of duff gen for starters and I didn't do enough research which didn't help!

i was told by the installers that i would get FIT payments from the date of installation! wrong! It took the installers 5 weeks to get the paper work to me I sent it to BG, they took 6 weeks to tell me that the paperwork was incorrect, it took weeks to get the right paper work when i finally resubmitted my eligibility date was three months after installation! by this time the decent weather had finished!
    The installers eventually paid me the amount that I had lost as a result of their incompetence !
    I have found BG very difficult to contact, they never answered emails and when they did contact me i found most of them very off hand!
    the system is now working I would hate upset what I feel (probably incorrectly ) is a delicate situation !
    I found the whole experience taxing, I am now hoping to reap the rewards along with a decent summer!

rant over!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The installers eventually paid me the amount that I had lost as a result of their incompetence !

Nothing wrong with a good rant. :D

If it's not too distasteful to say it, then as the installers have covered you for the lost months, all you have to do is stay fit and healthy till the 19 year and 9 month stage, to reap the benefits of being paid twice as you get those 3 good months of gen stuck on the end. :)

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 February 2013 at 6:40AM
    Options
    the whole process was a nightmare!! the installers gave me a load of duff gen for starters and I didn't do enough research which didn't help!

i was told by the installers that i would get FIT payments from the date of installation! wrong! It took the installers 5 weeks to get the paper work to me I sent it to BG, they took 6 weeks to tell me that the paperwork was incorrect, it took weeks to get the right paper work when i finally resubmitted my eligibility date was three months after installation! by this time the decent weather had finished!
    I have found BG very difficult to contact, they never answered emails and when they did contact me i found most of them very off hand!
    the system is now working I would hate upset what I feel (probably incorrectly ) is a delicate situation !
    I found the whole experience taxing, I am now hoping to reap the rewards along with a decent summer!

I know the feeling, even though it only lasted 8 days for me.

At this time 3 years ago I was waiting on my local station and bumped into an old friend. He was on his way to do some project work for a client called "Greenpeace" and I was on my way to West London to an annually exponentially growing exhibition called "Eco-build".
    - I've put PV panels on my roof ! It was the lease I could do after being commissioned to to write an article for their members about pV generation.
    - But when I looked at it of all the green options this was the most difficult to justify even with a 30 something pence subsidy, it didn't stack up economically............

18 months later I was busy reinforcing my roof because in the meant time the numbers definitely did stack up - even after propping up my sitting room ceiling with a row of 4 "Acrow" props for a week.

Then the government pulled the plug.

Then they had to change their mind for a couple of months.

Then I had to rush to install what I could find during the brief window of opportunity.

Then my installer took a week to get me registered on the central database.; but in the meantime I had had a discussion on here about the failing of National Power when it came to registering for FiT payments and how British Gas would do the job via Email. So you had proof that your application had arrived in time !!!
    So I lost 8 days generation (59 kWh) or rather deferred them for 25 years :D

It was a somewhat fraught 8 days ;)

[The fun and games I later had because the TWO "fully qualified" electricians on the 3 man installation team could not recognise a 1960s "TT" installation, when they saw one, is another story.]

I still do have a small issue with BG, in that they don't know how many days there are in a year. I have sent PB an email but I am not hopeful of getting a sensible response within their performance measure of 3 working days.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=59188921&highlight=february#post59188921
  • SkipandLucy
    Options
    For me its a case of watch this space!
    I am considering moving house, both estate agents who valued my property are reluctant to include the panels in their valuation even though I can prove that in the first year the panels have covered my electricity bill in spite of the poor weather. Am I expecting too much for some of the installation cost to be offset in the sale? :think:
  • InVestor_2
    Options
    For me its a case of watch this space!
    I am considering moving house, both estate agents who valued my property are reluctant to include the panels in their valuation even though I can prove that in the first year the panels have covered my electricity bill in spite of the poor weather. Am I expecting too much for some of the installation cost to be offset in the sale? :think:

Hi

Prior to having my panels fitted 2 years ago, I spoke with several estate agents who didn't seem aware of the value of panels or of the FiT scheme (not sure how enlightened they are now). Most thought 'no added value but may help sale', one thought 'may even put people off'.

Recently I had my house independently valued by a surveyor, who added £20,000 to the valuation after I had shown her my (detailed) spreadsheet and receipts/bills from FiT payments, leccy bill reduction.

I would suggest getting as much detailed information together as you can regarding FiT payments and bill reductions etc and make sure your chosen agent takes it into account for valuation/pushes it in the sale process.

The actual value will depend on many things, ultimately only you and the buyer will decide it with an actual sale.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport