Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One additional thing concerns me about PV systems - I remember seeing a Sky TV program some years ago - about a "thin film" type of cell - that was "printed out" by the metre by a US company, at minimal cost and when running, produced at least twice the output of traditional cells - if this was to be developed and made available - what would happen to the thousands of original systems installed on peoples houses - I see betamax happening all over again - I am going to wait and see what happens to this technology before jumping blindly in.........
  • jgrove_2
    jgrove_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    One additional thing concerns me about PV systems - I remember seeing a Sky TV program some years ago - about a "thin film" type of cell - that was "printed out" by the metre by a US company, at minimal cost and when running, produced at least twice the output of traditional cells - if this was to be developed and made available - what would happen to the thousands of original systems installed on peoples houses - I see betamax happening all over again - I am going to wait and see what happens to this technology before jumping blindly in.........

Both Powerfilm and Global Solar produce thin film and its used on foldable and rollable panels. But i don't think the technology is suited to commercial use. I have 2 30W foldable panels, that produce around 4 amps when connected together.
  • jgrove_2
    jgrove_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking at a compound result of £42000 over 25 years at 5% your initial sum is around £16k.
    Z

I think your missing the point, as a general rule i dont think those of us that have solar pv fitted pay for it from our bank accounts, i would imagine most people re-mortgage, so your investment theory is pointless unless you have the money in your bank account as loose change!
  • Solar_Direct_Savings
    Solar_Direct_Savings Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 30 June 2011 at 4:27PM
    Options
    As someone working in the industry I have found Martin's report on the sector very refreshing. It makes a pleasant change to see the publication of a well balanced and fair assessment of the industry on this website.

I agree with everything Martin and his team have said and would just emphasise the importance customers doing your homework before making a decision on which solar panel company to use. Make sure they have all the necessary accreditations and don't be afraid to ask to speak to other customers about their experiences.
  • celerity
    celerity Posts: 311 Forumite
    Options
    jgrove wrote: »
    I think your missing the point, as a general rule i dont think those of us that have solar pv fitted pay for it from our bank accounts, i would imagine most people re-mortgage, so your investment theory is pointless unless you have the money in your bank account as loose change!

If you don't have the money available as savings, I would strongly reconsider your decision to invest in solar PV.

If you have to borrow the money you are making a long term investment that is not 100% safe even more insecure (the government may renege on the FiT).

/\dam
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,356 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jgrove wrote: »
    Hi

Not missing the point at all ... the post specifically addressed a poster who claimed that investing a cash lump sum in savings returning 5% would outperform investing the same cash lump sum in pv.

Regarding funding of pv, some remortgage, some move money from savings to achieve a better return and others withdraw money from their pension scheme and see the return as an annuity with a possible residual value or benefit .... many flavours of investment in the technology for "those of us", yes I have one :D, "that have solar pv fitted".

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • keith_r59
    keith_r59 Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    bikeman wrote: »
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels

Saving of £70 pa on electricity - wow!

Double your investment over 25 years! - I can double my money and more in 25 years just by putting it in a building society and have no risk.

Over 25 years I'd expect to average 5% pa - that's £42,000.

The returns are going to have to get a lot better to tempt me.

Buy an ISA - you'll get a lot better return than you will from solar panels. After 25 years you'll still have your capital rather than a worthless piece of obsolete and probably non functioning technology on your roof.

A good investment for one person can often be a poor investment for another and vice-versa so my advice is to look at your own financial circumstances, do the necessary research and then make your own informed decision.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think there is a procedure that allows those with a commercial interest to make factual postings and not get caught by the spam police?

Might be an idea to check it out?
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2011 at 6:01PM
    Options
    bikeman wrote: »
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels

Saving of £70 pa on electricity - wow!

Double your investment over 25 years! - I can double my money and more in 25 years just by putting it in a building society and have no risk.

Over 25 years I'd expect to average 5% pa - that's £42,000.

The returns are going to have to get a lot better to tempt me.

Buy an ISA - you'll get a lot better return than you will from solar panels. After 25 years you'll still have your capital rather than a worthless piece of obsolete and probably non functioning technology on your roof.

I agree about the £70 - not a lot to get excited about these days! Anyhow, I just knocked up a quick spreadsheet to compare an isa with the same amount going into solar.

My scenario is (and eacxh of these parameters can be changed quickly if anyone objects/would like to see results with other numbers)

Initial spend/investment - £15k
    int rate on cash 5%
    inflation rate 4%
    1st year fit + used electrcity value £1300

After 25 years, those numbers give an isa value of £50.8k and a solar return of £56.8k, assuming all fits received were invested in an isa and got the 5% interest (that amounts to £2.7k interest). That's with no new inverters.

If I stick in 2 new inverters at year 10 and 20, at a cost of an inflation linked £1k today, the solar return comes out at £53.0k

So solar wins under those assumptions, but by only £3k (and furthermore, that 3k is at the 25 year future value, so worth about £1k in today's money). Of course, that assumes no other costs for solar except for the inverters and over 25 years, I think that's wishfull thinking.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    int rate on cash 5%
    inflation rate 4%

Plus or minus 80% accuracy ?
    We just don't know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories