Student bank account

My daughter starts Uni. next September 2012 and has just received a cheque for £150 to start her off.

But I was wondering what is a good bank account for her (17 at the moment) and should she be opening an account with student help now for next year or is it too soon?

She is (Hoping) to go on a 4 year German Translation course, so I am not sure if she opens an account this year, that it would be valid for her 4 years at Uni?

Can anyone give me any tips on this? Should she just open a normal account this year, put her savings into it, and then next year open a Student Account when she goes to Uni?

Thanks

Comments

• melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    she won't be able to get a student account until she's registered at a university - so no student accounts this yet. i'd say pick the best account she can and then look at all the options for student accounts just before she starts uni.
    :happyhear
  • Nick_65
    Nick_65 Posts: 40 Forumite
  • What you can do at the moment is, for example Natwest, open a young persons account which is for anyone aged 11-18, and then she can upgrade to the student account once she gets confirmation of her uni place after her results, or if she has an unconditional she can apply a lot earlier in the year, I applied for mine in March. It means not worrying about having account all over the place!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure