0% interest 0% BT but not a HSBC backed card?

Options
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a very low or 0% interest and balance transfer credit card that is

1) Easy to setup online
2) Is not financially backed by HSBC.

I've heard nightmare stories about this company and find them to be unethical and utterly unBritish. Basically their ads are a sham and I have no interest in funding them or having to deal with their customer services.

Any light that can be shed on this would be terrific.

A friend recommended the M&S &More credit card. 0% interest for 12 months. Any connections?

Comments

• LittleJ_2
    Options
    Rustbucket wrote:
    Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a very low or 0% interest and balance transfer credit card that is

1) Easy to setup online

I've heard nightmare stories about this company and find them to be unethical and utterly unBritish. Basically their ads are a sham and I have no interest in funding them or having to deal with their customer services.

A friend recommended the M&S &More credit card. 0% interest for 12 months. Any connections?

Every large bank is going to have nightmare stories - there are plenty of good stories about HSBC too. As for being unethical, not sure where you got that from. I'm sure there are probably some quesytionable policies etc but as a whole I thought were reasonably ethical for a global company.

As for unBritish, depends what you mean. They have call-centres abroad if thats what you mean.

As for M&S money, yes they are connected to HSBC.
  • Phoenix79_2
    Options
    Rustbucket wrote:

1) Easy to setup online

Had a bad experience have we?

John Lewis, GM, M&S, HFC, Beneficial, Marbles, First Direct and Morrisons are HSBC backed.

Unbritish? They are basically Midland Bank, one of the great British banking institutions. I don't agree with outsourcing jobs abroad mind you. That is pet hate of mine. As for unethical? They do an awful lot of work for the environment and also a large amount of fundraising for charity. More than is reported and more than most people from the outside would probably believe, at both home and overseas:
    http://www.hsbc.com/public/groupsite/csr/en/_csr_overview.jhtml

Don't get me wrong, i'm not on here to defend them....there are certain areas that they could improve in but on the whole they aren't that bad.
  • Phoenix79_2
    Options
    Oh...Capital One are offering 0% on balance transfers until April 08. Thats a pretty good deal. Can't comment on their online service. HSBC will also be offering 0% until April 08 from 29th December but that wouldn't interest you would it?! ;)

p.s I wouldn't let your personal view cloud your judgement when paying debts off. Just look for the best deal. If you can get the cheapest offer out of a company that you don't like then put your feelings aside and go for it. :)
  • CopperPlate_2
    Options
    Worse for the OP - M&S Financial Services is a division of HSBC whereas the likes of John Lewis Partnership card is a joint venture between the two companies. HSBC use the M&S brand under licence.
  • Rustbucket_2
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts guys. Some interesting points raised there. I entirely forgot I made this post before Christmas, and I just reminded myself by seeing a CC advert.

I've looked at Capital One in the past. I might give them a looksee again.

As for my opinion of HSBC? I think it was the takeover of Midland Bank that I heard bad things about. It was a while ago anyway.

On the other hand though, if all I'm doing is USING them to get 0% interest for a BT, then.... hey... that would balance things out a bit. ;)
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    Options
    I was given an HSBC CC and their service has been impeccable. 0% on BT until Jan 08 with 2% fee (changed now til April 08). Can't fault them. Even the best company will still have things go wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure