We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Product specification

Options
rich_b
rich_b Posts: 37 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 24 June 2011 at 4:01PM in Consumer rights
A well known PC parts online shop sells hard drives - one of which I bought new 3 weeks ago as an OEM product. On the product page is a heading 'Specification' followed by a link to a PDF file. The PDF file is hosted on their server but is a copy of a manufacturers document which specifies a 5 year warranty for the hard drive. There is no other mention of warranty anywhere on the product page, or linked from that page. Does the warranty information in that PDF form part of the product specification, and therefore the contract under which I bought the drive?

I'm asking because the hard drive manufacturer says the drive doesn't have a warranty with them, but a 6 month warranty with the retailer. The retailer says they normally sell drives with a 1 year warranty. My argument is that if they link to a document on their product page under the heading 'Specification' then I should expect to get what that specification says - even if it's manufacturer written. Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport