We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sony Bravia not as described, but time has passed...

Options
Hello all, a long-time lurker here with a question.

I purchased a Sony Bravia 22ex320 TV from my local Sony Centre at the end of April. The range was new, and the assistant and the signage both said the telly was Full HD, ie.1080p. I specifically asked, because online different websites described it in contradictory ways.

However, once I started using it it soon became clear that it was a HD Ready TV only, ie.720p, a lower resolution. I've only used the TV intermittently and have been trying to get used to it, but I'm still not happy really.

Now, the 24" version of this TV is Full HD, although it is £50 more. I was wondering whether it would be worth returning to the Sony Centre, explaining that the set was not as described (ie. it's not a Full HD television), and asking if I could swap it for the 24" set and pay the difference.

I have the box and packaging still, but the main problem is that the TV is two months old at this point; is this too late to go back now? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated - I hate getting into confrontations at shops! :o

Comments

• vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    I think that after 2 months, you will be deemed to have accepted the product, and there's nothing you can do. Can't see them taking what is now a second-hand set from you and letting you pay the difference either.
    However at 22", I suspect that unless you use it as a PC monitor, you realistically won't be able to tell the difference between 1080 and 720 unless you sit 6" from it. In future - read reviews before buying, eg http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5420/sony-kdl-22ex320-tv-review
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its too late to be returned now under any legal obligation - indeed upon opening it and using it for the first time you should have returned it after that - any future use of the device would be classed as accepting its function based on knowing what its capable of, or not as in your case.

With that in mind there really isn't much you can do, and nor much the Sony Center will do.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As well as what has already been written, how do you intend to convince your local Sony Centre that some months ago their salesman told you an untruth?
    It might be equally as difficult to point out the mistakes in their signage.

Interestingly, Sony do not sell any tv smaller that 24" as 'full HD'.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BraveTyger wrote: »
    online different websites described it in contradictory ways.

So did you check the Sony website? Which would be the only website that you could argue had misled you.

Buyers remorse methinks.
  • BraveTyger
    Options
    Wow, thank you all for your swift replies! I think it's pretty obvious what the consensus is so far. I suspected that too much time had probably passed - I should have been pro-active and gone back straight away rather than trying to live with it. :o
    vuvuzela wrote: »
    In future - read reviews before buying.

Which I always try to do! This was an expensive item for me, so I did try to do my research. Sadly, this range was new in April, so very few reviews were available then (and there haven't been too many since - it seems most reviews cover the bigger tellies).

That left me checking shop websites, and there was a lot of confusion over the resolution of these TVs when they first appeared - Amazon said one thing, John Lewis another. If I recall, the Sony website said they were Full HD, though they've updated the site since (should have printed it out, I know! ;)). That's why I thought asking in the Sony Centre would give me a definitive answer.
    wealdroam wrote: »
    As well as what has already been written, how do you intend to convince your local Sony Centre that some months ago their salesman told you an untruth? It might be equally as difficult to point out the mistakes in their signage.

Fair point, although I guess this would be the case in lots of examples of goods being returned for not being 'as described' by a Sales Assistant. Beyond recording such conversations, I'm not sure what proof could be given. I suppose it comes down to how willing the shop is to please a customer or call him/her a liar.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BraveTyger wrote: »
    ...I thought asking in the Sony Centre would give me a definitive answer.
    Did you realise that Sony Centres are independent franchised businesses?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, unless you're uisng the TV as a PC monitor, I very much doubt you'll notice the difference between 720p and 1080p on screen that size under normal TV viewing.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Did you realise that Sony Centres are independent franchised businesses?

didnt know that, thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family