We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Warranties only valid on authorised distributors?

Options
Bought a Grundfos pump for my pond about 20 months ago from a seller on ebay. Brand New and boxed. It's now stopped working. It' surprising because the last Grundfos pump (a very similar model) worked non-stop for over 14 years. Grundfos is a large (mainly industrial) pump manufacturer.

Grundfos technical team now state that their warranties only apply to sales through authorised distributors.

I will be claiming from egg under their free extended warranty scheme but as a matter of principle I'd like to know whether Grundfos can do this?
We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
The earth needs us for nothing.
The earth does not belong to us.
We belong to the Earth

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 24 June 2011 at 1:30PM
    Options
    Yes, Grundfos can do this.

A manufacturer's warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, and as such the manufacturer can attach whatever terms he likes.

Your statutory rights are with the vendor that sold the thing to you.

If it was a private sale, then you will have problems.
    It is possible that there is a term in the warranty that says the warranty isn't tranferrable... very common.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport