We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help-Are my veg growing properly?

Options
pacman_2
pacman_2 Posts: 154 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I've got tomatoes(in greenhouse), cucumbers(in GH and indoors) and courgettes growing. Tomatoes seem to be growing well, a few flowers coming out now. Cucumbers the same and I can see the fruit developing. My courgettes have grown quite big with flowers but the fruit that shows soon withers. What am I doing wrong? I have a tray outdoors and one indoors. I water my plants daily. I get the feeling that they seem to behind where they should be. I would welcome any tips to increase my crop. Thanks all.

Comments

• a1cat
    a1cat Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    Options
    pacman wrote: »
    I've got tomatoes(in greenhouse), cucumbers(in GH and indoors) and courgettes growing. Tomatoes seem to be growing well, a few flowers coming out now. Cucumbers the same and I can see the fruit developing. My courgettes have grown quite big with flowers but the fruit that shows soon withers. What am I doing wrong? I have a tray outdoors and one indoors. I water my plants daily. I get the feeling that they seem to behind where they should be. I would welcome any tips to increase my crop. Thanks all.

Sounds like your courgettes have got rot at the flower end - perhaps they were not fertilised? Just harvest them young for now and make sure insects can pollinate or do it yourself. Once plants are a bit bigger the problem goes away but you do need to encourage this by harvesting those courgettes even when they are not much bigger than a fat cigar;)
  • toni_
    toni_ Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Options
    are you feeding your plants with anything? when they start fruiting you should mix some feed up in with the water once a week. I agree with what pacman said, you can also put a layer of straw around the bottom of the courgette plants, this will help keep the courgettes off the damp soil and help keep them dryer, this could help stop them rot :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure