Damaged Item - Compensation?

Options
Hi

I ordered an item online and when it arrived I discovered it was damanged. I used my Tesco Credit Card.

Can I claim compensation? do I need to contact Tesco about this?

Thanks

Comments

• rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why are you looking for compensation ? Call the supplier first and inform them that it arrived damaged.
  • nrishiraj
    Options
    rsykes2000 wrote:
    Why are you looking for compensation ? Call the supplier first and inform them that it arrived damaged.

I have contacted the supplier and they are re-sending another one.

I just wondered if there was also a way to claim compensation from the credit card companies.
  • Epiphone
    Epiphone Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    nrishiraj wrote:
    I have contacted the supplier and they are re-sending another one.

I just wondered if there was also a way to claim compensation from the credit card companies.

No! It's nothing to do with Tesco Credit Card. You're getting a replacement, what more do you want. What, exactly, would you be compensated for?
  • Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Under the consumer credit act you are entitled to compensation if the original supplier goes bust or fails to provide the goods and services paid for with your credit card.

The credit card company is jointly liable for ensuring you get what you paid for.

This is why you should always pay at least the deposit for any major purchase with a credit card so you are protected when something goes wrong.

Expecting Tesco (RBS) to pay you compensation when you are already getting a new item from the supplier is called greed and is also illegal!

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Under the consumer credit act you are entitled to compensation if the original supplier goes bust or fails to provide the goods and services paid for with your credit card.

I believe this only applies to items over £100 although some companies may help you on a goodwill basis.
    Expecting Tesco (RBS) to pay you compensation when you are already getting a new item from the supplier is called greed and is also illegal!

Correct, but I read it in post #3 that the poster was after some education
    i.e. what should he do if the retailer won't play ball.
  • Labman_2
    Labman_2 Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote:
    Correct, but I read it in post #3 that the poster was after some education
    i.e. what should he do if the retailer won't play ball.

The retailer has agreed to send a replacement & therefore is 'playing ball'. It reads to me that the OP is looking for something more!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You could take either interpretation.

I was trying to be nice :-))
    That'll teach me !!
  • Labman_2
    Labman_2 Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote:
    You could take either interpretation.

I was trying to be nice :-))
    That'll teach me !!

Absolutely nothing wrong lisyloo in being nice but in my opinion, the one word "also" was a give away!
  • Astaroth
    Astaroth Posts: 5,444 Forumite
    Options
    Think the OP is looking for "compensation" and not a simple refund/ replacement. Even in the situations given a credit card company is not liable to pay claims for compensation (eg inconvenience) only the purchase price of the goods/ services
    All posts made are simply my own opinions and are neither professional advice nor the opinions of my employers
    No Advertising or Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport