Discounted newspapers for students

2»

Comments

• Aspiring
    Aspiring Posts: 941 Forumite
    An even better way to save money on buying newspapers is to read them online.

Not quite the same as reading them in the bathroom though is it ;)
  • Mike1989
    Mike1989 Posts: 222 Forumite
    An even better way to save money on buying newspapers is to read them online.

The environmentalists will hate me, whenever I get a journal online I print it off. I can't stand reading things online or on a pc screen unless its short articles on BBC or Skysports for example. Anything that is numerous pages in length I have to print off, easier on the eyes :D
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mike1989 wrote: »
    The environmentalists will hate me, whenever I get a journal online I print it off. I can't stand reading things online or on a pc screen unless its short articles on BBC or Skysports for example. Anything that is numerous pages in length I have to print off, easier on the eyes :D

Oh, I agree. I can't read journal articles on the computer, and I also can't annotate them. But if you are printing them off yourself then you can print it your own way. I print landscape, two pages per page and double sided print. It saves me money. I only print what I know I'll really need though, I don't print off every article.

For newspapers the articles are going to be fairly short, and you probably won't need to annotate them (although if you did then you could print that one page).
  • I just found out that The Economist are offering 12 issues for £12 to students, with free access to their website, a weekly audio tape, with a free book called Pocket World In Figures.

Just go to economist.com/insert/uk and quote QJQD as the reference.

Bummer really as I subscribed 2 months ago without knowing about this.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The Times student subscription has now changed to £2.50 a week; link here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/student/student_discount_vouchers/
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • atypical
    atypical Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    The Times student subscription has now changed to £2.50 a week

When you follow the link and fill in your details it tells you the offer is no longer available and that you should ring the subscription helpline. On ringing the number you're told they no longer offer student subscriptions.
  • I don't understand why you don't just read these newspapers online, all of the above mentioned have excellent websites with all of their printed stories, and the added bonus of being able to comment and read other's comments on stories. I mean, I guess printing the odd article has got to be cheaper than buying a paper every week? Guardian website in particular is great. Any mistakes are updated quickly, which obviously they can't do with dead tree media.
  • babyboom_2
    babyboom_2 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Thanks for informing us on this, but I guess I prefer reading it online, and I am just wondering if the students do buy these newspapers. Is it one of the requirements then?
  • Thankyou, i read the guardian all the time. One the link that was given for print out vouchers there is now an e-mail for you to send your details to so that they can mail you with vouchers.
    £11,000 in 2011 = £71.74
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport