Guarantee question

Options
Afternoon all,

Quick question. Having bought a washing machine from a well known high street store, it became faulty. They duly sent out an engineer to fix the problem 2 weeks ago. However the same fault has occured again(it is a softwear fault apparantly) They are going to send out an engineer again to "fix it" my only concern is that my 1 year guarantee runs out in about 6 days. What happens if the product goes wrong again after the guarantee period? Surely there must be some comeback as the product has originally gone wrong within the guarantee period. Any advise appreciated :)

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it the retailer or manufacturer that sent out the engineer?

I would be ensuring that the retailer knows about the problem, and making it clear to him that if exactly the same problem occurs you will expect him to keep providing a remedy... however long it takes to get a permanent fix.

Your one year guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights.
    Sale of Goods Act will probably protect your purchase for longer.
  • lea123e
    lea123e Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy reply, yes it is the retailer who sent the egineer out.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you know if the engineer was employed by the store or was it someone from the manufacturers?
    It doesn't make any difference to your legal rights, but hopefully someone from the manufacturers would have a far better idea of the problem and how to fix it than someone whose job it to look at all makes and models, and if it does fail again it might be worth contacting the makers directly.
  • lea123e
    lea123e Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it is an egnineer employed by the store. I'm thinkking I should just tell them I want a replacement instead of repairs, I think I am within my rights to ask for this?
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    lea123e wrote: »
    Yes it is an egnineer employed by the store. I'm thinkking I should just tell them I want a replacement instead of repairs, I think I am within my rights to ask for this?

You can ask yes...however I doubt you will get it.
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    By and large, most repairs come with a short guarantee on the repair work. It's worth asking if theirs does, as it will be much easier should it fail again.
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport