Ipod broken after 20months-- advice please

Options
hello

I bought my partner an Ipod as a birthday gift in October 2010. 20 months later and the 'jack' appears broken, you push the ear phones in and the noise comes out of the Ipod... sounding a but 'tinny' and nothing throught the earphones.

I have spoken to Apple but they say it is out of warranty. Which it is. But should a product still be expected to be fit for use after this date? what are my rights here?

Steve

ps. my partner has always bought Apple deluxe earphones for the Iphone shop so no problems there.

Comments

• dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See post 4 here
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • vuvuzela
    vuvuzela Posts: 3,648 Forumite
    Options
    hopeneeded wrote: »
    hello

I bought my partner an Ipod as a birthday gift in October 2010. 20 months later and the 'jack' appears broken, you push the ear phones in and the noise comes out of the Ipod... sounding a but 'tinny' and nothing throught the earphones.

I have spoken to Apple but they say it is out of warranty. Which it is. But should a product still be expected to be fit for use after this date? what are my rights here?

Steve

ps. my partner has always bought Apple deluxe earphones for the Iphone shop so no problems there.

Do you mean Oct 2009 ? If in Oct 2010 it would still be in warranty.
  • hopeneeded
    hopeneeded Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Well spotted! I did mean Oct 2009
  • Outpost
    Outpost Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Options
    Stuff just breaks sometimes unfortunately.
    :cool:
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Trouble is, the headphone socket is quite a high-use area, with cables being pushed in and out, and wiggled around. It would not be unlikely that it was not a faulty part, but simply through wear & tear. I (clearly) couldn't be certain on that, but it's worth bearing in mind if you were to use the SOGA and get the ipod inspected - you could lose any fee you paid to get it looked at if it's just down to how it's been used.

You could always look somewhere like https://www.ipod-surgery.co.uk/ to see if it's cheaper (and easier!) to pay for a repair
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • nicolax
    nicolax Posts: 298 Forumite
    Options
    when you said you spoke to apple did you ring or go instore?
    i would try popping into an apple store if theres one nearby - they are usually really helpful with items and faults even when out of warranty. worth a shot if theres one not oo far from you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure