dissolved company - my rights

Options
Hi,

I recently purchased a home security alarm system and paid upfront for a years maintenance contract. A couple of months on I've found out the company that installed the alarm (and who service the contract) have been dissolved. Can I claim my money back on the maintenance contract given that they are not able to honour it? And if so who would I take this up with?

Any advice gratefully received :-)

yorkshire_boy

Comments

• George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you paid with a credit card then you shouldn't have too much of a problem getting your money back as you can make a Consumer credit act Section 75 claim.

If you paid any other way the chances of getting anything are extremely slim to none.

Is the alarm a monitored system?
    If so, you may well be able to claim for the full installation because if the company who was monitoring the system is no longer operating, it is no longer up to the standard that you paid for.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you paid by other forms of credit, as well as a credit card, you could also be covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Have a read of MSE's article on the subject.
  • pcombo
    pcombo Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Options
    You wont be able to get anything back, Your now a creditor and will need to wait for an outcome of any court cases and creditor meetings etc. Which can take months.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    pcombo wrote: »
    You wont be able to get anything back, Your now a creditor and will need to wait for an outcome of any court cases and creditor meetings etc. Which can take months.
    Not sure that's entirely right, Pcombo.

OP, you might also like to read MSE's article on Administration Help.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    You wont be able to get anything back,

Unless as already mentioned, the payment was made via some form of credit.
    In this instance there is no reliance on court cases or creditor meetings as it is the credit supplier who becomes legally liable for the service not being supplied.
  • pcombo
    pcombo Posts: 3,429 Forumite
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Not sure that's entirely right, Pcombo.

OP, you might also like to read MSE's article on Administration Help.

Any assets the company own will be in the hands of lawyers i think.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    Have you read either of the MSE articles mentioned earlier?

They are talking about assets of a possible credit provider, amongst other things.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was the contract provided by the alarm installer,if so you will be an unsecured creditor and i have to say you have waved goodbye to your money.I have sometimes seen contracts provided by a major finance type company and the original company who supplied the system simply maintain it under the guidance of the contract provider,if that is the case you will be ok because another company will be appointed to maintain your system.
    All the comments about Administration are a bit of a smokescreen because if it just a small company it is more likely to be a Liquidation or a compulsory winding up procedure by the local court,either way you will not receive any money back.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

The OP says the company is now dissolved, though. If it's not in administration or liquidation, it quite simply no longer exists, and the only recourse would be possibly through the credit card provider.
  • yorkshire_boy
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks...I had kind of guessed I'd probably seen the last of that money. Just to clarify, it wasn't a monitored system and I paid by cheque. Lesson learned!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport