Question about a mattress

Options
I bought a silentnight mattress from Littlewoods and after around a year i started to feel the springs a lot more .As usual i put it off getting on to them and asking about the guarentee.It has progressivly got worse where i can feel every spring and am afraid that they may actually come through the mattress .You can even hear the springs now when you move.I contacted Littlewoods who said after a year the warrenty is with Silentnight .(It has just approached the 2 year mark ).Silent night have after a lot of emailing and form filling have said they will replace the mattress (on there site they say 5 year warrenty with sliding scale )but i need to pay £48 delivery charge because after a year this is the charge .Do i have to pay this or should my warrenty stand .I just wondered what my rights are before i pay this delivery charge .Thanks

Comments

• gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    How much was the mattress originally?
  • shardylan_2
    Options
    I bought it with the bedstead .Im not sure ,i think it worked out around £250 .
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    As manufacturers warranties are generally provided as something that is in addition to your statutory rights, the providers are allowed to state terms and conditions for these.
    Is there anything about this delivery charge written in the warranty paperwork that you have?

You could try to get Littlewoods to replace it as they were the seller, but this would probably involve a long battle as you would have to provide proof that the mattress wasn't fit for its purpose.
    Also, if Littlewoods did refund you or replace the mattress they are legally allowed to make a deduction based on the use you have had of the old one.

All in, I don't think that getting a new mattress for £48 after having use of the original one for 2 years is too bad a deal.

The delivery charge is stated in the online viewable warranty info.
    During the period 12-24 months, replacements will be free of charge but will attract a contribution to the transport costs. In subsequent years, a sliding scale of charges is payable by the consumer based on usage plus transport costs as follows:
    2-3 years 40% of current retail price
    3-4 years 60% of current retail price
    4-5 years 80% of current retail price
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I find silentnight to be a truly awful brand, not recommended by the industry either. From memory my silentnight didn't last much more than 2 years before it went to the tip so as Shaun says, a new one for £48 isn't a bad deal.

Always buy a decent mattress and decent shoes. If you're not in one you're in the other.
    :D
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Silentnight product may not be the best value for money in the market place agreed, but I've found they customer service to be excellent.

We once had a lady who had a problem with her bed, so we went out and inspected it. We found that the base was damaged, on further investigation and questioning she admitted to standing on the bed when it broke. Therefore not a proper claim under any warranty. We said to her that we'll speak to Silentnight and see what price a new half base would be.

We explained to Silentnight that the bed had been misused but they still agreed to replace it FOC.

What you have to bear on mind in your case, it's Silentnight who have agreed the replacement and not the retailer. So I think a delivery charge is fair.

Has anyone inspected the mattress? Have you turned it regularly? Have any children been using it as a trampoline? Is the base that it's on in good condition? etc... All things normally considered if a replacement mattress is warranted.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • d.ross_2
    d.ross_2 Posts: 593 Forumite
    Options
    shardylan wrote: »
    I bought a silentnight mattress from Littlewoods and after around a year i started to feel the springs a lot more .As usual i put it off getting on to them and asking about the guarentee.It has progressivly got worse where i can feel every spring and am afraid that they may actually come through the mattress .You can even hear the springs now when you move.I contacted Littlewoods who said after a year the warrenty is with Silentnight .(It has just approached the 2 year mark ).Silent night have after a lot of emailing and form filling have said they will replace the mattress (on there site they say 5 year warrenty with sliding scale )but i need to pay £48 delivery charge because after a year this is the charge .Do i have to pay this or should my warrenty stand .I just wondered what my rights are before i pay this delivery charge .Thanks

A miracoil mattress by any chance?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family