PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What is the difference between settlement and subsidence in buildings?

Options
2»

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    call centre monkey is a bit derogatory is it not.

I did that very job, for two top brands, and had done ACII!
  • jim22
    jim22 Posts: 1,227 Forumite
    Options
    Being the OP, in my introduction, I stated that this subject would bring conflicting views and it has. The problem seems to lie in the actual definition of what settlement is, and what insurance companies take it to be. Surveyors often tick the subsidence box on the valuation whilst commenting by the side "past settlement." Are they contradicting themselves or covering their backs.

My house has past settlement. At the time of buying my mortgage company (principality ) arranged insurance with royal sun alliance. Dearer than shopping around but thats them. A year up, shopped around, got a much cheaper quote with another large insurer. When asked about movement replied "past settlement." Reply, "thats fine." Recently, when looking for another quote with another insurer, movement question asked and now view of survey required. Its seems to have ramped up in what you have to do. Stayed with present insurer.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hcb42 wrote: »
    call centre monkey is a bit derogatory is it not.

I did that very job, for two top brands, and had done ACII!

I've worked in call centres too. Working in a call centre does not make you a monkey. Being a monkey and working in a call centre does.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All houses move. To say movement is movement and therefore uninsurable under a normal policy is wrong. You won't find a Victorian house with true walls or a survey on one that doesn't mention longstanding movement.

The financial ombudsman does not consider settlement to be the same as subsidence.

Insurers usually ask the question about subsidence, landslip, heave; not movement. If they do ask about movement then you can't answer truthfully. If they ask about subsidence then you can answer truthfully no if the property has been seen by a surveyor and deemed to be long standing "settlement". If they surveyor ticks the box that says "subsidence" then you can't exactly answer that it isn't.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • jim22
    Options
    Thanks Doozer: it does still seem that there is no straightforward answer to my original question.
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    "movement" "settlement" and "subsidence" aren't synonyms - there are differences. If the person in the call centre is employed to plug answers into a computer, you'll get a "computer says no" response to all 3 variants. If the person in the call centre has a bit of nouse and is actually permitted to use their brain when talking to customers, you can get a more suitable response.

Some call centre monkeys are forced to be monkeys when their employer doesn't allow them to do anything other than follow a script - its not the fault of the guy at the end of the phone!
  • jim22
    Options
    I've been trying to show a picture of a monkey working the calls and keyboard. Beyond me: Guess I'm not the organ grinder!
  • jim22
    Options
    How do you place an image into a discussion for joke affect?
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    well...if you can't do it...ask a call centre worker...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure