Cancelling Post Office Credit Card

Options
Phoned up last night to cancel as I used it for 6 months 0% and transferred the balance elsewhere and they requested me to put it in writing. Anyone else know of any other companies that act like this? Bit of a pain in the !!!!. But then again thinking about it, not been that impressed with the overall customer service from PO anyway

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes there are some companies that get you to write in, so they are not alone.

Is it really that much hassle to write a quick letter?
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lisyloo wrote:

I am going to put my cancellations in writing, just because sometimes it is easier than phoning up, going through security (hard to recollect for unused cards) an trying to understand foreign call centres.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    You will also usually have to go through to their "customer retention" department who will spend a while trying to persuade you to keep the card and they can be quite persuasive.
  • humfer
    humfer Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Options
    lisyloo wrote:

Oh no off cause not. Just a bit unusual thats all. No worries. Have just written the letter and its now ready for posting. Do agree with your point below - at least I don't have to sit on the line while someone tries to keep me on the account....
  • wearside_2
    wearside_2 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Imagine if someone else go hold of you details and cancelled over the phone for a laugh or something more sinister.

Always best to confirm in writing IMHO
    To Dare is To Do:beer:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't have a Nationwide card, why not consider lowering the limit and keeping it open purely for overseas spending?
  • Bisoy
    Bisoy Posts: 873 Forumite
    Options
    I will keep this card once my promo period ends mainly for overseas transaction as I have Nationwide flexaccount but don't have a nationwide credit card.

This card is of great value to us as we go abroad most often, then it will be our primary card and not using nationwide flexaccount for purchases only for cash withdrawals. Thereby our money works a bit harder in ICESAVE account before PO payment due date.
  • mintymoneysaver
    Options
    I wrote to the Post office to cancel my card a few months ago. Have never heard anything back from them so I assume it is now closed but would have been nice of them to reply!
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    I wrote to the Post office to cancel my card a few months ago. Have never heard anything back from them so I assume it is now closed but would have been nice of them to reply!

Check your credit files to see if the account is marked as settled.
  • lisyloo
    Options
    If they haven't written back then you need to check (via credit files perhaps).
    The letter could have been lost in the post and they never received it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure