Acer Aspire One

Options
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help.
I purchased an Acer Aspire One netbook from Tesco Direct in December 2009.
I was very happy with it until it developed a problem a couple of months ago - it would just turn itself off unexpectedly, and was very difficult to get it on again. This was an inconvenience at first, but the problem became more frequent, until it was completely unusable, it will not now boot up at all.
I emailed Tesco Direct, who emailed me back a Helpline number, which I called. The operator I spoke to became very offhand when I told him the date of purchase, and I was told that it was not their responsibility. I feel that, having spent £270 on the netbook from what I thought was a reputable seller, I should be able to expect it to last longer than a year or so.

After looking online, I found that under the Sale of Goods Act, sellers may be responsible for repairing or replacing goods even after the warranty has expired.
Can anyone clarify this for me, and advise how I should deal with Tesco Direct on the matter?

Thank you.....Alix

Comments

• sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I had one of these. If you google they do develop a lot of faults. Mine was faulty straight away, comet replaced it, it was completely dead. Then 2 months down the line it broke again so I used the manufactures warrenty to get it fixed. Then 18 months after purchase it just wouldn't load, so I contacted acer who said I had to pay £62 to get it fixed. I decided to just buy a new one.

In my view these things do last only a year. I dont think you can expect tesco to do anything now. Try contacting ACER or a local repair man who may do it for cheaper. I dont think Tesco are liable.
  • tomwakefield
    tomwakefield Posts: 8,036 Forumite
    Options

After looking online, I found that under the Sale of Goods Act, sellers may be responsible for repairing or replacing goods even after the warranty has expired.
    Can anyone clarify this for me, and advise how I should deal with Tesco Direct on the matter?

Thank you.....Alix
    If something is inherently faulty then you are entitled to a refund/replacement/repair, even after the warrenty. However, after six months the onus is upon you to prove that the fault is inherent rather than through normal wear and tear, or misuse.
    Competition wins: Where's Wally Goody Bag, Club badge branded football, Nivea for Men Goody Bag
  • alixandgordon
    Options
    The offhand Helpline operator called me back after I emailed the company again, and is sending out an 'out of warranty claim form', so we shall see what happens next.....
    Perhaps more companies ought to warn people the goods they are buying are only expected to last a year!
  • Esqui
    Esqui Posts: 3,414 Forumite
    Options
    Knowing Tesco, shall we take bets on how much money they will offer OP as a credit? :D

I'm gonna go £100
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport