What Would You Do ?

Options
after 17 years togeather and loads of hints my partner still hasnt asked me to marry him or bought me a ring .we are really happy and i love him loads but i want to do the wedding bit lovely dress before am to old ,i have asked him about it he always says he wants to but never does anything about it, should i just book a wedding ?or should i keep waiting and hoping :D sometimes i feel like he musted love me enough as he knows how much i would love to be married do you think am just being silly

Comments

• Gabriel-Ernest
    Options
    Have you proposed to him? Does he really know how much it would mean to you?
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • bugbabe
    bugbabe Posts: 279 Forumite
    Options
    he does ,maybe i should propose to him i always get emotional when i hear about people getting married i know it sounds silly but i feel like am missing out
  • Benny24
    Benny24 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tell him it's what you really want, check it's what he really want's too. Then tell him if he doen't propose, you'll do it!!

See what reaction you get! He may well say hang on that's my job, and be jolted into doing something about it!!!
  • livinginhope
    Options
    I don't think you're being silly,17 years is a long time to feel like this,you obviously need the security that marriage will bring and he doesn't feel the importance.I agree that you should try proposing,if he says yes,set that date,otherwise it could be another 17 years before your trip down the aisle ;)
    Best of luck
    LIH
    Debt at highest £102k :eek:
    Lightbulb moment march 2006
    Debt free october2017 :j
    Finally sleeping easy in my bed :A
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,999 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to resolve this once and for all. If he really doesn't want to gt marriage then you need to accept that and enjoy the lovely life you have together. If you let it worry you, you will drive a bigger and bigger wedge between you and end up destroying the relationship you have.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • lisa_75
    lisa_75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    Options
    I was with my husband for 14 years. No ring, no proposal. I really wanted to get married for lots of reasons. So one day I just sat him down and told him that we needed to think about this issue and where the relationship was going. At first he didn't really see the point of us getting married, but if I wanted it he would do it. I just went ahead and booked the registrar anyway and took it from there.

If I would have waited for him to arrange anything we would never have got married! I am a little disappointed I never got the whole down on one knee thing though. We are married now, so that is all that matters I suppose!

Getting married was so the right thing to do and we both wish we had done it years ago. At least waiting so long meant our kids had a day to remember too!
  • emmaBZ
    emmaBZ Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    Ask Him !!!
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mountainofdebt
    Options
    Just propose to him.

Never send a man to do a woman's job!
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • MissGosh
    Options
    Go on, be brave & bite the bullet!!
    Good luck if you pluck up the courage, let us know how you get on :D
    ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ __̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some men need a good push to the alter. Go for it.....:)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills