We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

non fensa registered installers

can anyone help.
If you have double glazing installed by a non fensa registered tradesman can you get the local authority to check the installation and issue the correct paperwork.
I need some windows replacing and the joiner I use isnt registered but we need the relevant paperwork to sell the house.If it cant be done I will have to use someone else.

Comments

  • My OH's uncle does our windows (i'm a property developer) and he's not Fensa reg, so all we ever do is pay an indemnity policy to cover the buyer of the house against any probs. It costs about £30 and we have it added to our solicitors bills.

    Your solicitor will know about this and advise accordingly. There may be a policy you can buy online that is cheaper but i've never had time to look personally. HTH!
  • vickyj
    vickyj Posts: 489 Forumite
    Indemnity insurance is generally closer to the £120 mark not £30 this can be a deal breaker for a house sale .
    just to pose a Q here. if after the installation you have the windown checked and they fail the inspection you are a little stuffed . it has goot be worth trying to find a fittwer that is fensa reg in my honest opinion
    :D The glass is always half full, no exceptions !!:D
  • Perhaps it depends on where you live, but it's always been between £20 and £35 in the 5 years i've been developing in the Derby area. However, like vickyj says it maybe worth paying a bit extra for a fensa reg installer if you don't personally know the person doing the work.
  • ozskin
    ozskin Posts: 451 Forumite
    of course if you are confident in the tradesman and dont want to be lumbered with much of this govts misguided and often downright stupid (im being v.v.polite and restrained) legislation on energy efficiency there is this issue of when you actually installed the windows if you know what i mean.
  • Yes, I totally agree Ozskin, perhaps I didn't make myself clear enough - when i'm asked about how long the windows have been installed in one of my renovations I always say I don't know - there were in when I bought the house. That MAY explain why I pay a lower indemnity policy price?

    Just a small (ish!) white lie...
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    thanks for help.
    Yes i know the guy time seved joiner.Used him before many times .but on this job we will need the fensa paperwork .I know i can use a fensa registered company but only know of one and they are good but not cheap and that means that i am paying a lot for a little bit of paper.I could ring round a few companies but I am wary of using someone I dont know .
  • Give your Council Building Control Officer a ring, they are very helpful and should be able to advise you.
    You can definately get work inspected by BCO for a fee, shouldn;t be too much money either (around £100 max)
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Yes, if you use a non-fensa installer you need to get a certificate from your local authority Building Control. It is about £100 and they come and check that the openings meet the fire regulations and even that the glass is put in the right way round. The metal spacers in our units are all date stamped, so it would probably be picked up if ever we come to sell the house.
  • chrisw is right. you have two choices, you either use a FENSA registered installer or you have to go through building regs with your local council. This can be done with a 'building notice' submitted to your local council 2 days BEFORE you commence the installation. insurance policies are complete twaddle, replacement windows are subject to building regs and FENSA is a self certification scheme for installers, so the building control officer does not need to make a final inspection.
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I sold a house shortly after the regs came into force so I know that the windows were there beforehand but the new purchasers was adamant so in the end I had to get an indemnity policy to please them although its probably not worth the paper its written on. It was some time ago but I cant remember at all how much it cost but I am sure it wasnt over £100 but as I said I just cant be sure. Doesnt really help I know but if you definatley have someone that isnt FENSA registered or you want to pay the planning costs this is a thought
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.