MSE News: Talk Talk worst of big guns for customer service

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
37 replies 4.5K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"TalkTalk and KC have been voted as worst telecoms firms for customer service, in a massive poll of 24,056 votes. ..."

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    I don't think many on here will be surprised to read that.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • edited 7 June 2011 at 6:38PM
    I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 June 2011 at 6:38PM
    You don't see much of Charles Dunstone these days.

It didn't start off great when they took on too many customers and they couldn't deliver the service or handle the volume of customer calls.

I have never trusted them with the street salesmans porky pies, inadequate commitment to customer service, ambiguous service dates.

When they took over Tiscali they mucked up yet again and I left them like a rat off a sinking ship!!!!!!

I don't know whether Talk Talk has bought prices down in the industry overall and/or customer service down too.
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesnt suprise me in the slightest
    Although to be fair the guys on the forum (talktalk site) are pretty good and actually seem to have the power to sort problems out unlike the phone based people

I received a call out of the blue from one of their indian call centres telling me that I was out of contract so they would give me a 3mth discount (about £2 a month) which would give me "protection". I asked several times if this would mean that I would be tied into a contract and was told no. I dint believe her and refused to confirm who I was and told her that I didnt want the discount (odd I know being mse). She became very angry, told me I was mad, when I said I was going to complain she told me it would be my fault when she was sacked and her children starved, she also told me she hoped "my god" wouldnt treat me badly because of what I was doing

Went onto the forum, initially the team were sceptical but with a bit of perseverance they pulled the tape and upheld my complaint and confirmed that if I had accepted the discount I would be tied in for 2 years!!!!!! You see lots of people complaining that they have been lured into contracts without knowing....this is how :-( Poor effort talktalk..........but I think they think they are just to big to care, if I leave them they will have someone else sign up so no major loss to them
  • smudger1946smudger1946 Forumite
    645 posts
    I have been with TT for a few years, never had a problem AND WHEN WE DID IT WAS A FIRST CLASS SERVICE.
    10/10
    SMUDGE
  • iscamaidiscamaid Forumite
    294 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I had problems with my broadband service with TT. It took us 6 mths to get out of the contract and about 40 hours of calls to them to report it. Virtually every time we had to be put through to the next service level (in India) where there was no record of our calls or problems. I would never ever use them again.
  • edited 7 June 2011 at 9:28PM
    asbokidasbokid
    2K posts
    edited 7 June 2011 at 9:28PM
    Touch wood, our broadband service from TalkTalk has easily been the best of any ISP we have used to date.

We pay TalkTalk just £10 a month for business-grade broadband with unlimited downloads.

Our line sync speed hasn't wavered far from..

Downstream Line Rate : 17776 kbps
    Upstream Line Rate : 1009 kbps

Can't grumble at that for £10 a month.

There were the usual problems with setting it up, but from there onwards it has been plain sailing.
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont dispute that they are cheap, just not very good at customer service, but beware when contract expires and they start calling you
  • TalkTalk, completely useless. Emailed a complaint 2 weeks ago to [email protected] and I get no reply. The question I submitted just get recorded into their new customer service webservice and sits there, in a black hole.

Does anyone know a more direct email address to send complaints to, other than the one I used
  • tonymctonymc Forumite
    243 posts
    We had been with Tiscali for around 5 years and apart from the occasional outage, had very few problems.

How different when they were taken over by Talk Talk. Things ok for the first few months, but then I was told that I could either keep my monthly cost the same and get free weekend/evening calls plus upgraded line speed, or not do this and get a slower service AND get charged £5/month more for this inferior service.

As I was tied into a BT contract for weekend/evening calls, had to stick with this poorer service, but it went from bad to worse with line speeds regularly hittiing rock bottom - extremely glad we didn't take out the phone service as well given some of the stories I read. After 6 months and numerous e-mails and phone calls, decided to call it a day and moved boadband to BT as well.

However, I have to say that the Forum Techies were a godsend - at least they would taks resposnibility for a problem and try to resolve it, unlike the call centres.
  • MVCMVC Forumite
    48 posts
    Just left TalkTalk and still in dispute over engineer charges. Until xmas I was a reluctant BUT happy TT customer - then we got a fault......

As of June 1st I'm now paying more per-month to BT but at least my broadband stays on - no more random disconnections and much, much faster.

Three of us have jumped ship so far - one or two others who I know are thinking carefully about doing the same.

TalkTalk's recently promoted super-cheap deals for new customers smacks of desperation. This survey underlines the fact that they are failing existing customers.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support