HFC Bank Rip Off

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
6 replies 1.2K views
MowglyMowgly Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
:mad: I have just been given a whopping £25.00 penalty for not paying my credit card bill - even though I never received it through the post. Anyone have any idea's on how to get them back - I will do my usual and overpay the credit card by .02 pence so they have to send me a statement every month, thus costing them postage. But, are they legal in what they have done. I have cut the card up and the next time one of their morons approaches me when I am out to apply for one their credit cards I will waste their time then tell them I'm not interested. I am most angry !!

Replies

• ReaperReaper Forumite
    7.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't you set up a Direct Debit to pay either the minimum or total off each month? I get tired of saying this over and over again.

If you don't it is inevitable that eventually you will forget or a statement will get lost in the post.

Before going on a crusade phone them up. If you are reasonable and stay calm they will frequently let you off if this is the first time.
  • Mowgly wrote:
    :mad: I have just been given a whopping £25.00 penalty for not paying my credit card bill - QUOTE]

this is the crucial part of what went wrong. YOU didnt pay it. you know its due every month and didnt pay it.

they cant be responsible for the statement not being delivered. all they can do is send it out.

as reaper says set up a dd or put it in your diary - whatever reminds you to pay it regardless of whther you have the statement or not. (personally i have a reminder on my email and a dd just in case)

if its first offence they may refund it. explain politely what happened, admit your error and ask them to consider refunding the charge.

DC
  • GalstonianGalstonian Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I'd also contact them and ask for the card to be treated as stolen and a new one issued. It may be innocent or someone may now have access to your mail and has both your credit card details and your address. Has anything else gone missing? The £25 could be the least of your worries...
  • CTT_2CTT_2 Forumite
    403 Posts
    Mowgly wrote:
    :mad: I have just been given a whopping £25.00 penalty for not paying my credit card bill - even though I never received it through the post. Anyone have any idea's on how to get them back - I will do my usual and overpay the credit card by .02 pence so they have to send me a statement every month, thus costing them postage. But, are they legal in what they have done. I have cut the card up and the next time one of their morons approaches me when I am out to apply for one their credit cards I will waste their time then tell them I'm not interested. I am most angry !!
    Well you only have yourself to blame. No doubt like me you know when your statement is due but its easier to blame someone else rather than admit to yourself you were in the one in error. Also if you set up a dd to care of the min payment you would not have been in this position.
    I suggest you stop moaning and just pay up and no doubt this will be a lessen for you in the future.
  • oscarhugooscarhugo Forumite
    492 Posts
    Well, for land's sake! Consider yourself told, Mowgli!! Well & truly slapped down, I'd say. Methinks your first post could very well be your last post as well. (Does anybody know how to play The Last Post?) It's a shame everybody else is just so damn clever all the time...
    Expect the worst & hope for the best...
  • picklepickle Forumite
    611 Posts
    ✭✭
    CTT wrote:
    Well you only have yourself to blame. No doubt like me you know when your statement is due but its easier to blame someone else rather than admit to yourself you were in the one in error. Also if you set up a dd to care of the min payment you would not have been in this position.
    I suggest you stop moaning and just pay up and no doubt this will be a lessen for you in the future.

Let them have your bank details????!!!! You've got to be kidding!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals