MSE News: Tesco launches fee free concert ticket service

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers can now buy concert tickets without incurring booking fees or card charges, which many companies add on ..."

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I am all for saving money, and agree that the fees per ticket are often to high BUT I hate the thought of Tescos getting bigger and bigger and more powerful, there may come a day further down the line where Tescos is the ONLY option and then of course they can charge whatever they like
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 June 2011 at 1:51AM
    I don't think Ticketmaster will be going bust in the near future.

I see that Tesco is fronting for Lastminute.com and in some cases Lastminute.com is fronting for someone in the murky world of second hand tickets.

It is the same idea as Tesco fronting for the Mark Group when you order solar panels.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    I don't think Ticketmaster will be going bust in the near future.

I see that Tesco is fronting for Lastminute.com and in some cases Lastminute.com is fronting for someone in the murky world of second hand tickets.

It is the same idea as Tesco fronting for the Mark Group when you order solar panels.

Nor do I think they will in the NEAR future, but how many companys have Tesco put out of business over the years.
  • Just to get the debate going ...

i always get confused by the argument that Tesco is too big. Tesco are getting bigger because people are buying more and more from them. If you don't want Tesco to get bigger, you don't shop there. But the fact is that Tesco is getting bigger because more and more people are shopping there so you cannot be holding the national view?!
  • Nessie23
    Nessie23 Posts: 245 Forumite
    Just to get the debate going ...

i always get confused by the argument that Tesco is too big. Tesco are getting bigger because people are buying more and more from them. If you don't want Tesco to get bigger, you don't shop there. But the fact is that Tesco is getting bigger because more and more people are shopping there so you cannot be holding the national view?!

People don't always have the choice, for example I live in a relative large town with a population of near 30,000 and yet the only shops that sell food are large supermarkets. I would more than happily by my groceries from an independent retailer, the problem is there aren't any left :(
  • vanmann
    vanmann Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Considering the number of people who hate Tescos and complain about the number of stores how is it that we never see Tesco stores shutting down for lack of custom
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Nessie23 wrote: »
    People don't always have the choice, for example I live in a relative large town with a population of near 30,000 and yet the only shops that sell food are large supermarkets. I would more than happily by my groceries from an independent retailer, the problem is there aren't any left :(

Which town? I find it incredibly hard to believe there are no local food shops - even the likes of a corner shop.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    Tesco is running the corner shops too these days.
    And running them well - no more stories about switching off the freezer to save on the electricity bill.
  • Money_User
    Money_User Posts: 286 Forumite
    callum9999 wrote: »
    Which town? I find it incredibly hard to believe there are no local food shops - even the likes of a corner shop.

Same, I live in a small town with a population of around 2000 and it has shops in. I think people just say things like this but in reality they don't use their local shops due to parking costs, more walking, probably smaller ranges but try and claim that their only option is using a Supermarket.
  • mummyplus3
    mummyplus3 Posts: 890 Forumite
    Eeek Tesco taking over the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills