cost of milk in Tesco

Options
Snowy_Owl
Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Was absolutely shocked by this price hike today.

In getting the milk for work today. On Monday, a 4-pinter was 1.25. Today, a 4-pinter was 1.49. 24p!!!!! :eek: a 1p, 2p or pennies more price rise- fair enough- they're a business but 24p!!!!!!!

refused to get this. Am not going to tesco for this again

Snowy
:j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j

Comments

• Westvleteren
    Westvleteren Posts: 4,489 Forumite
    Options
    I hope the price increase is passed on to the dairy farmers, for years they have been underpaid per litre and many have gone out of business. I don't mind paying a good rate per litre. I would hate to work 24/7 and continually make a loss.

Posts like yours make me annoyed.
    Something unexpected happened which made me smile and still continues to make me smile.

• asbokid
    asbokid Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    Snowy_Owl wrote: »
    Was absolutely shocked by this price hike today.

In getting the milk for work today. On Monday, a 4-pinter was 1.25. Today, a 4-pinter was 1.49. 24p!!!!! :eek: a 1p, 2p or pennies more price rise- fair enough- they're a business but 24p!!!!!!!

refused to get this. Am not going to tesco for this again

Snowy

Food hyperinflation is a deliberate policy of the food growers, producers and retailers.

And what's with tesco's dumbass "deal" of 12 pints for £3.

I'm sick of Tesco's idiotic policy of over-selling foodstuff by quantity.

The waste is obscene when there is mass starvation elsewhere in the world.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I usually pay £1 in Heron, the frozen food place.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kt26 wrote: »

b****y annoyed !!!
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kt26 wrote: »
    I hope the price increase is passed on to the dairy farmers,

And what if it isn't? What if Tesco are keeping all the increase for themselves, and their shareholders? Would you still be happy to pay a good rate per litre if it is going to Tesco and not the farmers?

for years they have been underpaid per litre

So they say, but for years they have been complaining the supermarkets won't buy small or odd shaped veg and fruit. Hoping to con people like you into thinking that if the supermarkets don't buy it, it goes to waste and they get no money for it.

and many have gone out of business.

So they keep saying, but I looked into figures a couple of years ago and it was all a con.

I don't mind paying a good rate per litre.

As I said above, would you be happy to pay the increase if Tesco were keeping it all?

I would hate to work 24/7 and continually make a loss.

Farmers don't work 24/7, and they don't continually make a loss, if they did they would soon be out of business.

What they do is tell us they get paid by the supermarkets less than it cost them to produce a litre of milk. But don't mention the grants they get from the government and Eu for producing milk, leaving the edges of the fields wild and many other things like not planting crops on lakes and golf courses.

Posts like your make me annoyed too. You have no way of knowing if tesco are going to pass on any of the increase to the farmers, but you do say you hope they will. Then you pick on the Op on the basis that they are depriving the farmers of the increase.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    asbokid wrote: »

It gets people into the stores, but more importantly, it gets them in to "stock up" on milk. And once the are in the "stocking up" frame of mind they buy more stuff.

I know some people will go in and only grab the milk bargain, but most won't. Tesco are good at analysing what their customers buy, so they will know how much money they will make from the offer.
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    asbokid wrote: »

Hang on, isn't that the same price as Iceland? I buy 4 pints for £1 in Iceland every fortnight. It's been £1 for 4 pints for a very long time in Iceland.
  • pompeyfaith
    pompeyfaith Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco prices also vary from area to area and that is the same with the big 4

Personally I love the stuff so will pay whatever infact I do not even look at the price as any price is good to me.
  • Snowy_Owl
    Snowy_Owl Posts: 454 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry if my original post has upset people. It is the hike on price that shocked me in the space of a few days - if it had been another product, I would've just as shocked/surprised.
    :j I feel I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe :j
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We all like to get a bargain but kt26 has a right to put in her two'penneth.
    It's a well known fact that the big supermarkets have a strangle hold on their suppliers, not just milk but everything they sell. Ok we'll never know how much is going back to the farmer, but it's hard to say they don't deserve a fair price for their labour.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport