Options
124»

Comments

• ryan7
    ryan7 Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    P_Banks wrote: »
    I've just reported the very same Broadway Travel to BBC's Watchdog programme and also the advertising and package holiday regulatory bodies for what I consider deliberately false advertising.

Please try to pick any package deal offered by them on teletext holidays, some great deals apparently, and then try to book it! The actual price rises by at least 50% because, as stated by the telephone rep it's not a live site, even though the Teletext compliance department says it is.

Wrote to Martin regarding this obvious scam, but I've yet to hear anything. Be very wary of Broadway Travel.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your comment & glad to hear you've taken it further.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think a lot of holiday companies use various "underhand" methods to make contact with a potential customer. Low headline prices being the main tool. I often see things like Holidays in July and August for, what seems a good price. Check and it will be early July, before the schools break up, or 30th August, too late to get back for the new term. Not really dishonest as they may well exist and probably the readers fault for assuming July and August means school holiday times. I have been offered very cheap holidays leaving from Bristol, returning to Teeside, not really practical for the average holidaymaker.

In the "old days" of teletext on TV, you would ring up, they would ask where you could fly from and all the cheapies would be from the other end of the Country. Not sure if it's illegal, probably immoral but they have to drum up interest somehow I suppose. Not much different to car hire firms with low prices and hitting you for fuel policies, or even the high street shops and 60% off with "up to" in small letters.
  • cheshire123
    Options
    I think people should be very wary of ever using this company. They take no responsibility for anything that goes wrong, and seem somehow able to bypass the usual safeguards that should be provided for package holidays by law (even ABTA would not help). We had a disastrous experience with them and I only managed to save our holiday by contacting the hotel direct who were great. When I tried to complain on getting back it was responded to with a combination of denial, run-around and convenient forgetfulness. Their customer service is poor because they know with the 'bargain' approach they go for comes a high level of 'hit and miss', so the level of problems and complaints must be higher than the amount of staff they have, and there's nothing they can do anyway, hence the fob offs so many people complain off.
    i learnt my lesson and would never use them again. Holidays are meant to be relaxing, not a nightmare!!
  • miamoo
    miamoo Posts: 1,694 Forumite
    Options
    This seems to be a common practice with Broadway travel. My friend 'tried' to book a holiday to spain last year, booked and paid, thought all was sorted and was then called 2 days later (after she had booked the airport hotel, and arranged time off work, booked dog into kennels etc) to say they wanted another £300 as there had been a mistake. She could either pay it or cancel. She cancelled and ended up £30 (not much but not the point) out of pocket, and had to cancell time off/kennels etc.
    I think they think, most people will just pay the extra as its too much hassle to cancel, especially when you have told the children and they are excited. It would be interesting to know how often this 'mistake' is happening. Surely it cant be legal.
    £100 - £10,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport