We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Plum tree help please.

ness_w
ness_w Posts: 334 Forumite
I have a plum tree which has bent over double with the weight of the fruit. I am going to try to prop it up. Should I thin the fruit or should I prune it back after cropping? The tree is only about 4 years old and has grown quite tall hence the bending.

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If it needs pruning, then in the summer is the time to do it. So you could do a combination of the two. Thin some now to save the branches being broken and then prune later, completing the thinning job.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Tebheag
    Tebheag Posts: 382 Forumite
    Hi
    Would def recommend thining the fruit also prop up the branches to. We inhertited a plum tree with the house and it had loads of fruit I just left all on it and one by one my branches snapped took it two years to recover as last year had no fruit what so ever on it.
    Good Luck
    £10 a day challange Feb 27/435 Jan 530/465

2012 to pay off CC
    After snowballing should be debt free by Mar 2016
    2011 Target to be overdraft free this year and get debt down!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure