When is an AST confirmed?

We're letting out our house, definitely typical accidental landlords but have taken a lot of advice, researched a stack of things, are familiar with running businesses and are going for a fully managed option with the letting agents; so are hopefully doing everything as correctly as possible.

However, I can't find the answer to these questions (without asking my agent who may give a 'reassuring' answer rather than a factually correct one due to their bias in the situation)....

At what point in the lead-up to the start of a tenancy can we be reasonably sure that the tenancy will go ahead? i.e. when will the tenants be deemed as being committed to it? Is it on the first day of occupancy or is it from when the tenancy agreement is signed?

Thanks if you can help.

Replies

• may_fairmay_fair Forumite
    713 Posts
    puddleduck wrote: »
    At what point in the lead-up to the start of a tenancy can we be reasonably sure that the tenancy will go ahead? i.e. when will the tenants be deemed as being committed to it? Is it on the first day of occupancy or is it from when the tenancy agreement is signed?
    When the T signs the tenancy agreement before moving in, it creates a binding contract. If T subsequently didn't move in, they'd still be bound by the terms of the contract, i.e. liable for rent.

When the T physically moves in and takes possession, that is the point at which the tenancy begins.
  • puddleduckpuddleduck Forumite
    86 Posts
    may_fair wrote: »
    When the T signs the tenancy agreement before moving in, it creates a binding contract. If T subsequently didn't move in, they'd still be bound by the terms of the contract, i.e. liable for rent.

When the T physically moves in and takes possession, that is the point at which the tenancy begins.

Thank you. That is hugely helpful and very clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides