Paying Capital One credit card balance at HSBC

I assumed that all Capital One credit card holders could pay off their balances at any branch of HSBC for free without additional charges?

They asked me in a branch of HSBC today whether I banked with them, I replied yes, even though it was a fib.

I had always assumed that wherever the head office bank collection on the credit card statement counterfoil was mentioned, it was free to pay off in full in cash at said bank?

Comments

• fozmcfc
    fozmcfc Posts: 3,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    A look under the FAQ on their website reveal the following.

At a bank

Take your full statement, including the payment slip and your payment, to any UK bank and pay over the counter. Any bank other than your own may charge for this service.
  • madgagoo
    madgagoo Posts: 354 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2011 at 2:12PM
    NPowerUser wrote: »
    I assumed that all Capital One credit card holders could pay off their balances at any branch of HSBC for free without additional charges?

They asked me in a branch of HSBC today whether I banked with them, I replied yes, even though it was a fib.

I had always assumed that wherever the head office bank collection on the credit card statement counterfoil was mentioned, it was free to pay off in full in cash at said bank?

As far as I understand, it is an option that Capital One can pay for. To allow their customers to pay free of charge at any HSBC branch.

If Capital One don't pay then you have to, after all HSBC are providing a service that costs them money (staff, computer systems, branch etc). As the poster above says, your own bank should accept the credit free of charge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure