career change at 41, but what??

Options
rob.b_6
rob.b_6 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hi guys im really looking for some ideas on a future career or where to go for good career advice for adults.
I'm 41 and currently work as a service engineer fixing printers and pc's. Have done this since leaving school either on the road or in a workshop. Keep getting made redundant (4 times) so never get anywhere in companies. The job is going down hill with more throw away technology so I want to change to something else. I also want to start earning decent money.
My strong points are good customer facing skills, good IT skills, the ability to explain things in a easy to understand way, and im very much a self starter and good with my own time management.
Sadly I'm all experience and no qualifications, apart from some minor ones and a few O levels.
My criteria for my new career are
- must be a job availably locally and not a rare job that requires massive commute
- must be office hours mon-fri
-must be starting salary of £20k rising to £30+ after 5 years or so. Have a mortgage etc so can't start on low money.
I would actually like something that involved working with the local area but that obviously involved working for the council? I guess it not a good time to be considering that sort of career move!
Are there any good online resources that would help me? Are there adult orientated career events in the South of England?

thanks
Rob

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest that you make an appointment with a Nextstep Advisor for careers advice and information about your local situation. Their services are free.

https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx
  • traleegirl
    traleegirl Posts: 170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What about teaching? I'm 39 and have just completed an Access to Higher Education course in my local college. I start my primary teaching degree in September...........The role seems to tick all the right boxes for you.
  • rob.b_6
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I have considered teaching but I could only do it with adults. I just don't get on with kids and don't have any of my own. Also being restricted to school holidays would not appeal to me.
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    Sales my be an option.
  • rob.b_6
    Options
    Im now thinking of looking to be a NVQ assessor . Seems like the ideal education training job to me at the moment. Will have to see if anybody on the board is one?
  • saintjammyswine
    saintjammyswine Posts: 2,133 Forumite
    Options
    I work with them a lot! You can assess under supervision while working towards your A1 (assessor qual) award. The main criteria is industry experience within the area you want to assess in. IT Practitioner is one area of training that providers are struggling to get assessors in at the moment.
  • rob.b_6
    Options
    I work with them a lot! You can assess under supervision while working towards your A1 (assessor qual) award. The main criteria is industry experience within the area you want to assess in. IT Practitioner is one area of training that providers are struggling to get assessors in at the moment.

Thanks for that, its seems the A1 is relatively cheap to obtain with plenty of providers. I have plenty of IT hardware experience so the likes of the computer maintenance NVQ would be no problem. Although im guessing actually passing the NVQ you are assessing would be a advantage! Generally who employs the assessors, is it colleges or independent education companies.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Do you actually have any NVQs yourself?
  • Beaver991
    Beaver991 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    With your background and experience teaching at NVQ level seems like a great idea, you still get to use all of your engineering knowledge but in style and career which is completely different. I know someone who teaches apprentice Engineers and Technicians and they always talk about how rewarding it is. They love the fact that they are giving young adults who have been left behind a little bit a chance to get skills and work and start building there own career.
  • rob.b_6
    Options
    No they were way before my time, I have a City and Guilds level 1 in Electronics taken in 1988 which I guess is equivalent to NVQ1? And more reciently a Edexcel PDA level 3 in networking taken in 2004 but that is pretty minor stuff. Currently unable to find and part time NVQ's in my area but may try something similar if I look to be an assessor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure