Hair dye result far too dark: what to do?!

Hi, I bought a John Frieda foam hair dye the other day, to dye my hair back to a natural brown. However, it has come out farrr too dark, even though I only left the dye on for the minimum time required!

I really don't like it :( Should I contact John Frieda, would they pay for it to be corrected?

Or should I use a colour-restorer kit? Anyone had experience of using one of these, and if so, what were the results like?

Many thanks in advance x

Comments

• benny123
    benny123 Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i also found john frieda foam colour to be much darker than i wanted, i used the online shade chart and used a light brown colour near to my natural colour and it came out almost black !! i was so disappointed because had found the product nice and simple to use but as for the result !!
    i phoned the helpline and the person i spoke to offered to refund the cost of product though if course i still have cost of restoring the colour to a lighter shade so hardly money saving for me
    i was also adviced by my hairdresser to use a medicated dandruff shampoo to lift the colour if that helps
  • Mrs_Arcanum
    Mrs_Arcanum Posts: 23,976 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Most home dye kits seem to come out darker than expected. I got this with the Clairol foam. The colour will fade over a few weeks and by the time you need to cover regrowth the colour will be what you expected in the first place. A hairdresser advised me to always choose a far lighter colour than you think and to avoid a red tinge choose ash based colours.
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
  • missnippy
    missnippy Posts: 39 Forumite
    I've done the same, and had to have it corrected by my hairdresser - she lightened it with highlights and the colour gradually faded out.

The colour restoring kits are harsh - they can ruin the condition of your hair. Medicated shampoo helps strip the colour out, and my sister's hairdresser told her that Charles Worthington's shampoos also do the same.
  • mamamags
    mamamags Posts: 116 Forumite
    I was advised to use fairy washing up liquid on my hair a few times when I dyed it too dark -used a darkest brown on my dark brown hair and it went almost black :(. It did help to make the colour less dense and matt looking but my hair was very dry afterwards so I used a deep conditioner for a few days. I now always go for a much lighter colour and it still goes dark brown. Hope that helps.:) PS I was also advised only to use semi permanent colour.
  • curlychick
    curlychick Posts: 80 Forumite
    hi there,
    boots do a great product called colour b4 which takes out the dye.. worked for me! its about 36, a hairdresser will charge you loads for a colour correction
    heres the link:

http://www.boots.com/en/Colour-B4-Hair-colour-remover-extra-strength-by-Scott-Cornwall-hair-expert-_1000976/
  • I wouldn't recommend the home colour removers, they are really very harsh & are basically peroxide.

To be honest, either wait for it to fade or go to a hairdressers & ask them to lighten it. It won't be cheap tho'.

If it was me, I would wait for it to fade & maybe try a lighter shade. If your worried about John Frieda colours, try another brand.
  • LittleLauz
    LittleLauz Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I second the use of fairy liquid to wash the hair with. A few washes with it should greatly fade the colour, also anti-dandruff shampoo is good at fading the colour somewhat. Though obviously not ones formulated for colour treated hair.
  • donnalou
    donnalou Posts: 498 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Head and shoulders is meant to be great to strip the colour out I remember my hairdresser telling me.
  • Thanks everyone, advise much appreciated! :A
  • Nice one discussion here about the hair dye and I also got some of the useful info from here about dying the hair's and their safety instruction's..... I thing that this is the perfect one forum to discuss and got the better one advice........... Thanks all of you buddies.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure