Can I bring an empty water bottle through security?

Options
Hi,

I think I can, but I want to check before we go as I don't want to lose my expensive water bottle! Can I bring one of these through security as long as it is empty? I could then fill it airside?

And if so, does it need to be completely dry, or can it have water droplets in it?

Comments

• jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Yup I used to bring through empty Childs cups etc.. no they don't need to be completely dry they don't really check.
  • airmark
    airmark Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you can, as long as it's empty. I have actually been allowed to have normal plastic water bottles if they are empty. In one occasion I drank what was left from a plastic water bottle and was then allowed to have it empty through security (so I refilled it later!).
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • rileydog
    rileydog Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I just had a look on the easyjet website as I want to take a similar item and it seems to suggest that containers over 100ml are not allowed through security.

?action=view&current=liquids.jpgIt won't let me post a pic but there is a clear image here that has a big red cross and says 'containers over 100ml, even if partially full'

http://easyjet.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4049

I emailed the customer services as that seems odd seeing as you can buy larger bottles than 100ml after security and on the plane itself and got this reply:
    security regulations state that no bottle is allowed to exceed 100ml (even though it will be empty).
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It means you cant take a container bigger than 100 ml even if contains less than 100 ml. For instance i can pour more than 100ml in my shoe but they're not going to stop people wearing shoes. Therefore if the container is more than 100ml ensure its empty before you go through security
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • phatbear
    Options
    You will notice on that sign that the containers over 100ml contain some liquid, ie they arent empty
  • rileydog
    rileydog Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    phatbear wrote: »
    Therefore if the container is more than 100ml ensure its empty before you go through security

That contradicts easyjet's response - they have said that no bottle, even if empty, can exceed 100ml (to go through security).
  • phatbear
    Options
    Ok then consider this, the very plastic bag you have to put your 100ml bottles in will hold more that 100ml therefore according to easyjet you wouldnt be allowed airside with it!

The rules are set by Dft not easyjet, also the rules you are reading applies to liquids and gels but an empty bottle is neither of those, I can assure you I spend a lot of my days airside and lots of people have empty containers which would hold more than 100ml
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Options
    Try it with an empty drinks bottle - if they make you chuck it then you've not lost a lot.
  • phatbear
    Options
    but they wont, how can they there is no ban on empty vessels, what about lunch boxes? my lock and lock lunch box is a poop load bigger than 100ml and I take it to work, by the way i work at an airport, and no one has ever said word one
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport