Thomsons Damaged bag

Options
So, we flew to the Maldives in April & on the outbound journey my bag got damaged (corner smashed in, Trolley Mechanism bent & carry handle snapped off, also scuffed & filthy so obviously kicked about). It was so damaged that on our return we were asked to complete a form stating we had checked in damaged luggage

So on our return I put a claim, on friday I got a claim form asking for my luggage tag (I only have the tag from the return journey) I checked their website & it doesnt say you have to keep this if you want to make a claim & they also want my ticket, but they take that off you when you fly dont they? All I have is the book Thomsons sends out.

Also a letter trying to get me to claim off my own insurance, I dont see why I should do this as there is an excess & I dont want to impact future quotes because I have made a claim..... I dont get it if someone crashes into me in their car I wouldnt claim on my own insurance.

So I plan to write back with this info & what I can provide & complete the form they sent me.

Has anyone else had any experience of this? & do you think it would be a good idea to send copies of everything to my insurance company for info as I assume I could use the legal cover on it

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pufling wrote: »
    So, we flew to the Maldives in April & on the outbound journey my bag got damaged (corner smashed in, Trolley Mechanism bent & carry handle snapped off, also scuffed & filthy so obviously kicked about). It was so damaged that on our return we were asked to complete a form stating we had checked in damaged luggage

is there a reason you were not able to report the damage on arrival. It would be normal for the report to be made when first noticed then it is clear that the damage was caused on the flight rather rather than at a later date. If you did not make a report on arrival you may have no choice but to claim on your own insurance as the airline will not know if the damage was caused at your hotel (for example) so are unlikely to accept liability as there is no evidence that they were responsible

you check in bag and it is fine
    bag arrives damaged but you do not report damage
    you arrive back to check in with damaged bag....all that is sure is that the damage was caused at some point between checking in for outbound and checking in for return. By reporting it at airport would have made sure that the timescale was tied down to when the bag was the airlines responsibility, by not reporting they cannot
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thomson smashed up my case once. I complained immediately at the airport when i saw the damage - as you should have done. They gave me a claim form then and there.

I got a brand new £180 rollercase as a replacement posted to my house about 4 weeks later. They were great.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • KonkyWonky
    KonkyWonky Posts: 648 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    is there a reason you were not able to report the damage on arrival. It would be normal for the report to be made when first noticed then it is clear that the damage was caused on the flight rather rather than at a later date. If you did not make a report on arrival you may have no choice but to claim on your own insurance as the airline will not know if the damage was caused at your hotel (for example) so are unlikely to accept liability as there is no evidence that they were responsible

you check in bag and it is fine
    bag arrives damaged but you do not report damage
    you arrive back to check in with damaged bag....all that is sure is that the damage was caused at some point between checking in for outbound and checking in for return. By reporting it at airport would have made sure that the timescale was tied down to when the bag was the airlines responsibility, by not reporting they cannot

+1

You gave them an easy get out I'm afraid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure