Where is best to go?

Options
Looking at going abroad for 1st time with our children in July 2012, they will then be aged 2 and 5.
Don't want a long flight or 2/3 hour transfers.
Would like nice hotel with balcony, near beach, quietish(not in middle of a lively resort), few pubs, restaurants near by.
Any recommendations gratefully received.

Many Thanks:beer:

Comments

• Klug
    Klug Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    My children are much older now but we always had lovely hols with them to Menorca. Flight about 2.5 hrs I seem to remember but thats manageable. Lovely beaches, much quieter than Majorca. Very family friendly.
    Or, not really abroad but would take you away and maybe try them flying if you wanted - how about one of the Channel Islands? You can fly or take the Catermaran. Again, lovely places and beaches and usually glorious weather.
    Hope you find somewhere.
  • jools27_2
    jools27_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would go for Menorca too, beautiful island, and very family friendly, we love it and are going back at the end of June!
    RIP Iain
    13/11/63-22/12/12
  • laidback
    laidback Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    would recommend Salou for a first overseas holiday,2hour flight,30 minute transfer,two nice beaches,and some lovely four star hotels.the port aventura hotels are a bit pricey but are very good.yes,salou has its rowdy part but if that is not your bag stay away from that area.Agree Menorca is very nice but i found it quite expensive and just to quiet for my family.
  • Paddywack41
    Paddywack41 Posts: 38 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'll vote for Menorca as well. Went there last year for the first time and to be honest it is one of the few destinations i would go back to. Peopel are friendly and even the busiest of the resorts is mild in comparrison with the usual suspects. Beaches are beautiful and clean and if you want to hire a car there are a lot of hidden gems to be found.
  • bargainbasement
    bargainbasement Posts: 982 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2011 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Menorca all the way, we went three years running when kids were smaller. Very family friendly - Cala n Forcat is the larger resort (mind not large like Salou by any stretch), also stayed in Cala N Porter and Binibeca (alot quieter). We also did a trip to Salou and sorry Laidback but we hated it, nothing but sirens all day, the hotel was a health and safety hazard, food awful and my hubby dragged a near dead man out of the pool - holiday from hell! Portaventura was the only saving grace!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Menorca is a beautiful Island!

I was going to recommend it to, going from the age of your children.

We took ours when they were younger and enjoyed every minute of the hol!

They're too old to go back there now, but I can't wait till me and my husband go back and explore the place.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • kerry49
    kerry49 Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thankyou all for your replies, we will have a look at menorca. I did try and get one of the agent people on here to price up La pineda outside Salou but not had anything back yet, anyone have any experiences with La Pineda?

Thanks again,

Kerry
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family