Phone call from comparison site

Options
mulligan
mulligan Posts: 9 Forumite
Hey,
may I pick your brains, please?

I've been rung up by a utilities comparison site. (I didn't catch the name.) It told me that, for gas, I should switch form British gas standard tariff to Scottish power. If memory serves, the saving they spoke of seems bigger than that suggested by the most recommended comparison site on MSE. Anyone got any thoughts?

Comments

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personnel wouldn't believe any company that cold calls especially one that must have a vested interest ie they get payback from SP.

I raised a complaint about SP today 4 years ago I left them and past 2 weeks according to my truecall device they been pestering me, shame they cant get through :)
  • grizzly1911
    grizzly1911 Posts: 9,965 Forumite
    Options
    I am currently with EON with my current tariff ending soon. I jused a couple of comparison sites.

I had an unsolicited call, purporting to be from EON, where they said they knew I had been comparing(using one of the sites) and could they help. When I told them what tariffs I had been looking at they conceded defeat and left the call amicably.

The one site I thought it might have been off categorically stated that they are independent and EON themselves said that they don't make calls like this either - very odd.:(
    "If you act like an illiterate man, your learning will never stop... Being uneducated, you have no fear of the future.".....

"big business is parasitic, like a mosquito, whereas I prefer the lighter touch, like that of a butterfly. "A butterfly can suck honey from the flower without damaging it," "Arunachalam Muruganantham
  • Alan_Vickers
    Alan_Vickers Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I periodically receive calls from someone claiming to be able to save us considerable amounts on our energy bills and usually allow them just a few seconds on the phone.

The most interesting thing was that two weeks ago a lady called on us with a computer in her hand and then producing a card with NPower on it. She asked me why we had left Northern Electric as our supplier and explained that NPower had taken over Northern Electric!

I explained that I could not remember why we had left Northern Electric as it was so long ago but reminded her that the government had opened up the energy market so that people could choose their supplier. I added that if I was to change from my current supplier then it would not be to go to NPower.

Alan Vickers.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Regardless of the saving on the comp site or elsewhere, if you're still on standard tariff (with BG or elsewhere) then you're throwing money away. It's always the supplier's most expensive one.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I periodically receive calls from someone claiming to be able to save us considerable amounts on our energy bills and usually allow them just a few seconds on the phone.

The most interesting thing was that two weeks ago a lady called on us with a computer in her hand and then producing a card with NPower on it. She asked me why we had left Northern Electric as our supplier and explained that NPower had taken over Northern Electric!

I explained that I could not remember why we had left Northern Electric as it was so long ago but reminded her that the government had opened up the energy market so that people could choose their supplier. I added that if I was to change from my current supplier then it would not be to go to NPower.

Alan Vickers.

I find that a 50% abbreviated version of " Go forth and multiply " said in a menacing tone plus the production of the aluminium baseball bat that I keep behind the door works wonders !
  • cing0
    cing0 Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My thoughts are anybody ringing you up is doing if for their benefit, not yours so just hang up on sales calls.
    Also, comparison sites and energy companies don't need your phone number so do give it out.
  • Hoof_Hearted
    Hoof_Hearted Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yup -- nobody should ever be on the standard tariff. Calls that claim to save you money nearly always compare their deal with your company's standard tariff. Best to do your own research using the comparison sites as recommended by MSE.
    Je suis sabot...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport