We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

free standing trellis

Options
mary-op
mary-op Posts: 3,605 Forumite
I've been trying to find some free standing trellis to put round the wheelie bins. Most of what I've seen is either very ornate or expensive.
Can anyone recommend a site worth looking at for this?
I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)

Comments

• officeguru
    officeguru Posts: 725 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 May 2011 at 4:39PM
    Options
    Ha ha ha... I just came back from the village paper shop and the council has left some purple, plastic free standing, fence bits (for going around holes in the ground.... That would do.. but they might recognise them when they come to empty your bins...

Can you not put in a couple of posts and some wooden fencing ?? Or are they on top of concrete?

Just found some here, but it might be too flimsy:

http://homeshopping.24studio.co.uk/spring-summer/barbecues-heaters/4/expandingfreestandingwoodentrellisfence/2/?cssoc=006&source=TL80&cm_mmc=Studio_NP-_-Online_Aggregators-_-Google_Base-_-Expanding%20Free-standing%20Wooden%20Trellis%20Fence

cheers
  • mary-op
    Options
    Thanks for that :T Just what I was after. The wheelie bins stand against a wall on concrete and I just want something to put in front of them so they're not such an eyesore when I'm in the garden.

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After having a bit of work done in the garden we have a few pallets lying around. So we're going to take them apart and make a screen using them as a frame and get some of that cheap willow screening.
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    Options
    I was going to say to keep a look on ebay to see if there is anything that can be adapted thats cheap.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WOODEN-GARDEN-ARBOUR-SEAT-FEATURE-BARGIN-USED-/140556511761?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenFurnitureR2_SM&hash=item20b9d22a11
    this arbour for instance could have the seat removed and two trellis panels (B&M sell them cheap) attached as hinged doors.
    anything really could be adapted to make them less unsightly (mutters the woman who has put her bin outside garden and got 3 recyling bags hanging around garden:o)
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • stilernin
    stilernin Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Options
    I have seen bins hidden by large planters with a small fan shape trellis for some ivy to grow up. In the spring, pansies etc could be put in too. On 'bin day' you just move the planter and pull out the bin.

If you fill the bottom of the planter with broken polystyrene they won't be too heavy to move, or you can get small sets of wheels to put under a planter.

This will add some colour to the space too.
  • mary-op
    Options
    Where the bins stand its not far from the back door so I don't have to walk far to them.........both me and OH have disability so need them to be handy to the door to take stuff out otherwise I'd have moved them and had a trellis with a planter I think.
    Thanks for all the suggestions:)

• ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    Options
    I was going to suggest the planter idea too. Cheap, pretty, wildlife friendly, and long lasting!

I'd get a nice big plastic trough and grow an evergreen shrub or 2 in it, shaped to suit, and then under plant them with flowers.

To access just rotate the trough out the way by picking up one end.
  • witchwoopiggy
    Options
    i picked up one of these planters with the trellis from The Factory yesterday for £12 and it comes with wheels, just the right height, comes up to just under the lid of the bins, and evern planted and with compost it is still very easy to move, hope this is of help :)
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you give us a link to The Factory please :)
  • witchwoopiggy
    Options
    http://www.theoriginalfactoryshop.co.uk/

but i can not find the planter online :( but you maybe able to find a store local to you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure