We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Will these reflower?

Options
lostinrates
lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
I always cut down flowered delphiniums for a second flowering, but should I do the same with lupins and verbascums, or let them self seed? I think the lupins will re flower? What about verbasums? If I chop them to reflower now will I still get harvestable seed later in the season?

I have a v. young garden and want more plants next year...but I also want more flowers this year!

Comments

• emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    If you dead head the main flower stalk of lupins, they will throw up smaller flower heads from side shoots up the stalk. Can't help with verbascum - keep meaning to try growing it, but never have.
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    emiff6 wrote: »
    If you dead head the main flower stalk of lupins, they will throw up smaller flower heads from side shoots up the stalk. Can't help with verbascum - keep meaning to try growing it, but never have.

Thanks, I took a gamble earlier before checking back and did it. I also cu the spent verbascums. Either they'll do it or they won't.:o:o
  • serena
    serena Posts: 2,387 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they'll both grow sideshoots and flower some more.

A friend experimented a few years ago, and found that it was no use trying it with aquilegias or hellebores. (and some others too that I can't remember...)
    It is never too late to become what you were always intended to be
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport