GCH From Scratch

Options
2»

Comments

• heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    pat1976 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm buying a new house which is in need of modernisation. It currently has electric storage heaters in all of the rooms, a hot water tank/emersion in a cupboard upstairs and no gas supply. I've looked into getting gas and it looks like it'll cost in the region of £500.

We want GCH installing but want to know what we're talking about before we start getting quotes.

The house is a large 3 bed semi, I think it'll need 10 radiators.

What are my options? Lots of people are telling me to stick with storage heaters because I'd have to have a combi boiler and they break down all the time, is that true? I must admit my friends in new houses seem to have problems all the time while our current heating is the traditional boiler/header tank/hot-water tank type and seems to go on forever, is there such an option in a new installation?

Also I've been told that boilers are usually fitted in the space where the hot water tank used to be - but in this house it's a cupboard with no outside wall so I assume that isn't an option?

Any advice on this and the likely cost is much appreciated.

Thanks.
    I think gch is the best option ,combi boilers are very good if they are installed correctly, getting a good boiler as well helps.
    Fitting a filter on the system will help to make it last longer.
    For a 10 rad system in the Leeds area you would be looking at around £3500 / £5000 with a really good boiler.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    keystone wrote: »
    Too big for a combi then IMHO particularly if you have more than one bathroom.

Lots of people clearly don't have the faintest idea what they are talking about.

Modern condensing boilers are more complex than old fashioned steam ones and some brands/models do have reliability issues. Don't buy a Lada and expect it to last very long when you drive it like it is an F1 car. Its the same principal. Too many people think "its only a boiler and they are all the same".

Of course there is - use a condensing system boiler. You might also like to consider an unvented cylinder or a thermal store (can't believe I actually said that) so that your hot water is at mains pressure.

Yup - you are listening far too much to people who don't have a clue frankly.

Take out your local directory and find yourself three local independent RGIs and invite them around to assess your project and specify / price a solution for you. You need 3 so that you have comparison material. Even better if you can get recommends from family / friends or neighbours. As for cost - get the quotes specific to your needs.

Cheers

Not sure that the house would be too big for a combi, this would depend on a number of things,
    How many bathrooms.
    How far the boiler will be from outlets.
    Heating output, normally if the heat output is over 24KW then a combi would not be suitable.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport