🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Faulty new car- last fault causes injury and very nearly a very serious accident.

Options
Evening
in October 2009 we ordered a brand new new car via the Motability scheme. We had to make a advance payment of just over £10k , it is then payed for on contract hire for 3 years.

Its had various faults from the beginning.
leaking doors , leaking windows, faulty radio, faulty alarm. These were all fixed without much drama :T

last month there was a fault with the power steering resulting in the car needing a new power steering pump :mad:
we thought that surly that's got to be it for faults .
how wrong were we :eek:

Yesterday my wife was driving the car round a roundabout ( as you do :D )
She indicated to exit the round about . this is where it all went wrong.
Total power steering failure :eek: by this time a rather large wagon has pulled onto the roundabout and she is heading straight for it :( . due to the steering failure, she has had to fight the steering to avoid a collision, I was at home so rushed down the road to find her very shaken and in tears.
Shes has an appointment with the doctors tomorrow due to the pain in her arm ( from trying to steer the car ,so as not to hit the wagon) not getting any better.

Shes refusing to drive the car when it returns as understandably she doesn't trust it :( TBH neither do I

The car was recovered back to the dealers where today they conformed that a seal in the replacement pump had failed causing total loss of power steering fluid and loss of power steering.

We would like all or at least most of our advance payment back as all of the above has happened with the car only covering 10K miles from NEW:mad:

Any advice on how best to get the ball rolling

Comments

• mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Options
    hmm, well if it is on finance your contract is with the finance company

As it has been so long I am unsure if you could reject it under the SOGA.

As a rememdy they are entitled to repair. The product is after all not fit for purpose under the SOGA.

Perhaps your best bet is going down the dangerous product route so I daresay you do some research on what law covers that.

If not just hope they take sympathy and replace it.
  • mynameisdave
    mynameisdave Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a Meriva by any chance?
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    Is it a Meriva by any chance?

That's what I thought initially but the op's car's p.s. has a pump and lost fluid.
    The Meriva's (Mk 1 version) has all electric p.s. Been there had the failures!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport