Long Notice on Redundancy

Hi MSE People

I was told yesterday that I am being made redundant as they are moving the Accounts Department down to London.
They offered me a chance to commute every day but I refused as I have done it a few times and it just eats up your life. It would have added 3 hours a day to my journey.

I have been there for 12 years and they are going to offer me a very good redundancy package basically will be able to not have to work for a good 6 to 9 months.

My redundancy date is Feb next year which gives me plenty of time to decide what to do with it.

Im going to research from now until then the possibility of setting up my own company with the redundancy pay but I am stuck as to what. I have a few good friends who are into Music so im kind of gearing towards that and they are keen to invest too.

Reason for the post is what things will I need to research. Where is the best place to find distributors and manufacturers.

Your help will be much appreciated.

Regards

Denzel
Investments - £1,290.62 (Shares on a DRIP Strategy)
Mortgage Balance - £189,662.09
Credit Card Debt - CLEARED

LOAN - CLEARED

Comments

• SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    The best business to start is one that you know about and have a passion for - not based on what your firends like! Also, a small warning - the best way to have good friends turn into enemies is to go into business with them

You have a lot of time - get some advice about setting up in business and thinking it through before you jump.
  • Denzel09uk
    Denzel09uk Posts: 161 Forumite
    Thanks SarEl good advice.

I do have plenty of time for sure.

I have worked with my colleague for 5 years now and we are good friends. but there is always that danger
    Investments - £1,290.62 (Shares on a DRIP Strategy)
    Mortgage Balance - £189,662.09
    Credit Card Debt - CLEARED

LOAN - CLEARED
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    yes, but you have worked with them as colleagues - the relationships are different. Right now you are all in the same boat as equals - you are all employees and the employer rules ok??? How will it feel though when it is you who are the "employers" (of each other?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure