🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Boots Opticians/Optical Express

Options
Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right place, but I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I took my 7yo DS for an opticians appointment at Boots Opticians on Monday as he has complained of not being able to see the whiteboard at school.

The tests were very thorough and I couldnt fault the staff, they were really friendly. It was found that he needed glasses as the sight in one eye was quite bad, so bad that he has been referred to the hospital.

This was mainly due to a test they did using 3d glasses and some pictures, I dont know if anyone reading this has had any experience of this, but he was only able to make out the first three 3d shapes, none of the other appeared 3d to him.

I was quite happy to go along with their diagnosis and ordered glasses for him and am now awaiting the hospital appointment.

However, when I got home and told my OH and mother in law, they both suggested I go and get a second opinion, as OH little sister went for an eye test at Specsavers and they told here she needed glasses, but when she got them they made her eyesight worse, so she got a second opinion and the original prescription was totally wrong.

So today, I went to Optical Express, where the tests weren't nearly so in depth and was told that he has better than 20/20 vision, but as he is struggling with seeing the white board, they want him back next Tuesday to put some eye drops in to dilate his pupils to do a retest.

Now my gut instinct says go with the Boots prescription, as the test seemed more indepth, and to also wait for the hospital appointment, but does anyone know if they will retest him there? Does anyone have any opinions on either optician and how good/bad they are?

Thanks

Comments

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    I have been with Boots for about 25 years, always found them to be good.

What prescription did they give him? was it shortsightedness? Bit strange that the other didnt pick that up?
  • Nat1977
    Nat1977 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    They said he was +2 in one eye and +.25 in the other.
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nat1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

I hope I have posted this in the right place, but I was wondering if anyone could help me?

I took my 7yo DS for an opticians appointment at Boots Opticians on Monday as he has complained of not being able to see the whiteboard at school.

The tests were very thorough and I couldnt fault the staff, they were really friendly. It was found that he needed glasses as the sight in one eye was quite bad, so bad that he has been referred to the hospital.

This was mainly due to a test they did using 3d glasses and some pictures, I dont know if anyone reading this has had any experience of this, but he was only able to make out the first three 3d shapes, none of the other appeared 3d to him.

I was quite happy to go along with their diagnosis and ordered glasses for him and am now awaiting the hospital appointment.

However, when I got home and told my OH and mother in law, they both suggested I go and get a second opinion, as OH little sister went for an eye test at Specsavers and they told here she needed glasses, but when she got them they made her eyesight worse, so she got a second opinion and the original prescription was totally wrong.

So today, I went to Optical Express, where the tests weren't nearly so in depth and was told that he has better than 20/20 vision, but as he is struggling with seeing the white board, they want him back next Tuesday to put some eye drops in to dilate his pupils to do a retest.

Now my gut instinct says go with the Boots prescription, as the test seemed more indepth, and to also wait for the hospital appointment, but does anyone know if they will retest him there? Does anyone have any opinions on either optician and how good/bad they are?

Thanks

My first thought is that how can you have better than 20/20 vision?

Abit like saying I gave 110%.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • eilidh_s
    eilidh_s Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    20/20 is one of the lines on that chart with the big E on it. The big E is 20/200 and the very last line is usually about 20/5. The metric equivalent is 6/6
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    Now my gut instinct says go with the Boots prescription, as the test seemed more indepth, and to also wait for the hospital appointment

In this instance, I think your gut instinct is correct. The "3D glasses" are used to test how well the two eyes work together. Assuming this is the cause of the problems he's been having, your son will need to see the hospital. My advice would therefore be to wait and see what the hospital have to say, rather than seeking second opinions which will most likely only confirm the original diagnosis, whilst putting your son through unnecessary tests.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • Nat1977
    Options
    Thanks, I thought this too. Do you think the hospital will retest his eyes for everything?
  • emmalouise81_2
    Options
    My daughter has a similar eye problem, her eyes do not work together and she can not see 3D (she also has a turn in her eye and is long sighted). She is now 5 and has worn glasses since just before she was 2.

I would wait for your hospital appointment tbh. They will give your sons eyes a thorough check and should then set a suitable prescription for him.
    Win £2012 in 2012 £149/£2012

:j Getting married 9th August 2013 :j
  • bitemebankers
    bitemebankers Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, I thought this too. Do you think the hospital will retest his eyes for everything?

The hospital will most likely run tests specific to the referral, to confirm the original optometrist's diagnosis and to develop a treatment plan. So this will typically include doing a refraction (testing the lens power required for glasses) as well as various tests to measure exactly how well the eyes are working together and how much assistance they need in the form of special glasses, in order to correct your son's vision.

Please don't worry about this unduly though. This sounds like a fairly common and treatable problem. You've done the right thing by seeking professional help straight away because with these types of problems, catching them early is often the key to successful treatment and good vision in adulthood.
    "There may be a legal obligation to obey, but there will be no moral obligation to obey. When it comes to history, it will be the people who broke the law for freedom that will be remembered and honoured." --Rt. Hon. Tony Benn
  • Nat1977
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and reassurance. I dont think I will take him back to optical express, I dont want to put him through any unnecessary tests. His glasses from Boots will be ready next week, so hopefully he will see some improvment with those, then I will wait for the hospital appointment.
  • mishkanorman
    mishkanorman Posts: 4,155 Forumite
    Options
    Its quite likely with the prescription he has been given one eye is compensating for the other, some people notice this as headaches and eye strain, others wont spot a thing.

If you had your son tested at every opticians in your area they would all come up with differences, and in some instances wildly so, if the 2nd optician felt he shouldnt be struggling for example he may well say " his eyes are fine" and in the case of OH's sister this may also have happened but in the opposite way.

Ive previously worked in an opticians and served people with next to no prescription yet they described themselves as 'blind' without their glasses - yet others who shouldnt be able to see their toes un-aided who drive daily with no specs !!

mishka
    Bow Ties ARE cool :cool:

"Just because you are offended, doesnt mean you are right" Ricky Gervais :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business