Volcanic ash rights

Options
I have a have a flight booked to fly to Bulgaria by Thomson and a return flight via Wizzair.
If my flight to Bulgaria is Cancelled due to Volcanic ash but a Wizzair flight from Bulgaria is not, do I have any rights to have my Wizzair tickets refunded(by Thomson for example) and is there any way I could have my Hotel booking refunded should hotel decline to cancell it or only refund part of the money ?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    No on both counts. You would need to take out insurance that covers such a situation.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The advantage of using a travel company is that if anything goes wrong, you can turn to them for a refund.

By booking everything separately, you would have to claim on your travel insurance.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    two words answer all your questions.

'travel insurance'
  • Mishomeister
    Mishomeister Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    two words answer all your questions.

'travel insurance'

The disadvantage of travel insurance is that they would charge an excess of £100, so with 1st flight being £100, hotel £100 and return flight £100, by having a first glight refunded by airline and having to claim for £200 and paying excess of a £100 would only leave me with £100 to win, so it doesn't sound a good idea of buying an expensive(premium travel insurance) for lets say £35 that would cover against the volcanic ash, which would then mean that I would be better off by only £65 should above events happen.
  • gordikin
    gordikin Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    Options
    The disadvantage of travel insurance is that they would charge an excess of £100, so with 1st flight being £100, hotel £100 and return flight £100, by having a first glight refunded by airline and having to claim for £200 and paying excess of a £100 would only leave me with £100 to win, so it doesn't sound a good idea of buying an expensive(premium travel insurance) for lets say £35 that would cover against the volcanic ash, which would then mean that I would be better off by only £65 should above events happen.

Travel insurance is for a whole lot more than volcano cover.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Yes if you fly once a year, but let me rephrase me original post to three words.

Annual Travel Insurance

And as gordikin pointed out, theres alot more issues than a simple volcano out there...
  • whatmichaelsays
    whatmichaelsays Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Each airline is only responsible for their own operation and any failings in that. If Thomson cannot get you to Bulgaria and you have booked the flights separately, they are not liable for your Wizz Air flight.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • melancholly
    melancholly Posts: 7,457 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201

probably all academic as travel is now up and running everywhere, but this is a special forum just about 'volcano travel chaos'. should be plenty of threads on there of similar situations or to get advice from people who've been through it.
    :happyhear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport