how much is wedding make up? would you do your own?

Options
pinkmum2010
pinkmum2010 Posts: 125 Forumite
edited 29 August 2023 at 4:40PM in Weddings & anniversaries
Hi

still in early planning stages but I was wondering how much my make up trial and make up for the day is likely to cost, I guessed £60 all in, is that about right? I've been thinking of going to somewhere like clinique and buying my own because at least then i'll have something to show for the money afterwards, has anyone ever had a make up counter do their make up for the big day?

Comments

• White_Sapphire
    White_Sapphire Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    I will be doing my own make up, and will treat myself to some nice cosmetics bit by bit in the run up to the wedding. There are some very good tutorials on youtube if you feel like doing it yourself. Make up counters are an option, but I've always found that they lay it on with a trowel, as the more products they demonstrate, the more they think they will sell you!
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • pinkmum2010
    Options
    i think it's about having the confidence and the right tools, i'll need to go out and buy some new brushes and a good base layer to help make up stay put.
  • White_Sapphire
    White_Sapphire Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    Options
    I agree completely - I'm fairly confident with make up for day to day or evenings out, but there's a bit more pressure when you're a bride! I'm going to have a good few practice sessions before the day to be sure that I get it right, and that everything will stay put for the whole day. A decent primer will be a must I think.

Miss Chievous has a very good bridal make up tute on youtube, and also a foundation guide.
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • redhead122
    redhead122 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Just an idea but have you had a look on local gumtree/free ads as i found my hair and make up lady on there, she is just starting out on her own, after working in a salon and she is doing bride, 2 adult bridesmaids and both mums for £300 for both hair and make up, all my other quotes were at least double that.
    Had the trial last week and loved it.
    :j baby lauren born 06/01/2011 + got married 02/07/2011 :j
  • VICSH
    VICSH Posts: 248 Forumite
    Options
    HI ladies
    My sister is doing my make up she has just trained and will be offering deals once she has started her portfolio so I agree wiht the lady above about looking on gumtree etc as you may find someone starting out.
    If you are doing your own I would recommend a primer (number 17 does an amazing one that really does keep my make up on all day for about £5) also Ruby and millie are discontinuung their stock in boots so at the moment it is 75% off so for tools they are fab and also some of their make up is also really good (eyeshadow primer is good as it their plumping lipgloss).
    Also if you are unsure of colours maybe have a make up trial somewhere? for techniques have a look on lauren luke she does some amazing stuff.
    If my sister wasnt doing my make up honestly I would never pay a artist as I am use to wearing make up and doing my own but i would say confidence is key OH and make sure you do it in natural light and dont use too many products that are light reflecting for photos...
    GOOD luckx
  • pinkmum2010
    Options
    that's very reasonable, a friend has recommended a friend of hers and reckons she will give me a discount but i like the idea of spending the money on good quality make up that i can keep beyond the day. my sister and mother will be in their horrors when i suggest i do my own make up, they keep telling me that it's the only chance i'll get blah, blah, blah
  • trying_2_b_good
    Options
    I'm struggling to decide to do it myself or get someone as well! I've bee quoted £65 inc trial. However, need to speak to her about the quality of her products - ie does she have Bobbi Brown or No 17! A friend recently paid a fortune for her make up to be done - but the artist had every shade of quality foundation & lipstick available!!

Bobbi Brown are doing free 1hr bridal make up sessions in May. I went the other week & the lady was lovely & not pushy at all - & I'm usually terrified of talking to the make-up ladies! Yes, she told me the importance of everything from toner to eye cream to primers - but there was no hard sell. The great thing was that she really did try to find the products that suited my skin type AND my personality. I did not look orange or overdone! We tried a couple of lipsticks, experimented with the thickness of eyeliner etc until it was perfect. I bought the eyeliner (because I wanted to) but nothing else as I wanted to get friends' opinions & check that the foundation lasted.

As it was, the foundation didn't have as long lasting coverage as I wanted - but then I have real problems with this & am yet to find a foundation I love. The eyeliner & mascara lasted until 4am even with all my sweating & dancing!

So, I suggest that you get as many free makeovers as you can, practise yourself & then decide if you have the confidence to do it yourself!
    Virtual Sealed Pot Challenge #148 - £59.93
    Crazy Clothes Challenge # 103 - £84/£200 £30 Coat/£12 shirt/£23 jeans/£6 t-shirt/£13 2 x tops
    Shoes £79/£100: Cowboy boots, canvas pumps, re-heal boots/ £25 safari shoes
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    My Make up is £50 on the day for me and 3 others. (£10 for the trial)

My hair is £30 for me (£15 for the trial) and then £20 for each additional person.

Both hair and makeup ladies are coming to the house the morning of the wedding so no need to go out. :-)
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
  • Mrs_Moore_To_Be
    Mrs_Moore_To_Be Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    Options
    Mine was £65 including trial. BM's was £25.
    I would reccomend it, it took the stress and pressure away and it felt so nice to be pampered.

If anyone wants the details of mine she is in Berkshire/Wilts/Oxfordshire area x
    :heart2: Got Married on 30/4/11 :heart2:
    Joined SW 12/7/12...
    -4.5, -3 (1/2 Stone award), STS, -1.5, STS, -2 (SOTW)
  • Tiara_2
    Tiara_2 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh would you mind giving me her details please? I am in the Oxfordshire area and looking for someone to help with my makeup.

Mine was £65 including trial. BM's was £25.
    I would reccomend it, it took the stress and pressure away and it felt so nice to be pampered.

If anyone wants the details of mine she is in Berkshire/Wilts/Oxfordshire area x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback